Shonda Rhimes

Josh Schwartz

Ken Kwapis

That's a pretty good list.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only good thing I can come up with to say about Guza is he's better than Pratt at daytime. Neither one of them should ever have been head writer for any soap.

GH is and has been a disaster ever since they were brought back.

On the other hand Pratt, and possibly Guza, can write excellent prime time scripts. But they are wholly unsuited to the story direction of a soap.

• Members

Toups, I'm not surprised to hear Latham is a power mad cow at Y&R. On Knots Landing John Pleshette, an cast member-turned writer was fired after he critiqued their script. He said that LML and hubby are "awful" people.

Joan Van Ark is convinced they were making fun of her and trying to run her off the show bc her writing was so bad. She reduced JVA's role and made her character a complete joke. Joan said she eventually left because of this. She also said that Latham didn't allow a dialogue so she had to go to the creator for help.

Keep in mind that JVA was Knots Landing's biggest star and it didn't stop Latham from treating her like crap. Nothing she does at Y&R surprises me. What will surprise me is if it doesn't continue.

The hateful bitch is here to stay and thats sad.

• Members

I think Latham a) needs to go back to primetime and b ) stick to working with her husband. They both did fantastic work on Knots Landing, Savannah and Homefront but she clearly can't deal with the power of being a true showrunner. I don't disagree with all the changes she made to Y&R but driving off perfectly good writers and performers is not the sign of a great boss. The Colleen recast story if true is just the lowest of the low. I don't understand how a woman whose primetime work was so witty, moral and self-aware could turn into an image driven hack who tosses off cliches like back from the dead and amnesia.

She does write good dialogue. Give her a a scriptwriting position with a storyline consultancy.

For anyone interested, here's a link to an interview with Latham/Lechowick about their early careers and work on Knots.

http://www.knotslandingonline.com/latham_a..._interview.html

• Members

Because most of them are valid in my eyes. I may enjoy Guza on the whole, but I am not blind to his faults. And I totally agree that he's not a daytime soap writer. He's better suited for a primetime soap. A continuing story that needs to move at such a rapid pace because it has only 24 episodes a season.

The thing is, with the rapid movement of story on GH, yeah, it's great to blast through a storyline in 2 weeks (Laura's Return, Hostage Crisis, Jake's Kidnapping...). The drama's there, the acting's on point. But then considering the show has 250 episodes to produce, when the storyline wraps up in 10-20 episodes, we're left lollygagging around for weeks at a time, doing nothing, until the next big story comes... and we're all into it for two, three weeks, and then fffftttt stall!

But what I like about Guza's brand of story for GH is that everyone is flawed. What I don't like about Guza's brand of story for GH is that the "lead" characters/moral police of the show are the most flawed of all. Two men who kill for financial gain and the shrieking Mob Moll shew who enables them. :rolleyes:

That's why I loved having Laura back. She and Genie were a breath of fresh air.

• Members

Re: Guza- That's the main thing I dislike is the everyone is flawed business. Everything is just too dark & nasty. There needs to be balance with the flaws and it's just not there. Consequently he's ruined nearly every character on the show.

It is better since Pratt left and even better still over the last few months for some reason. But it's still bad and needs a lot of fixing.

• Members

Speaking to Guza, the writing on GH with him at the helm is so up and down. General Hospital is the one soap that can be like jaw dropping drama for 2 or three weeks and then be so boring and so contrived for months on end. It is so inconsistent. And another complaint I have about Guza is his balance is the worse in the game. Its pretty sad when you have the same 6 or 7 people in practically every day. Jason I think has probably only missed like 3 or 4 episodes total this year. Craziness! Y'all think its bad over at AMC and OLTL, GH takes the cake as far as I am concerned. Guza isn't terrible because he can write good stories... just not very often :lol:

• Members

Elizabeth Page is gone? Wow. Perhaps the positions are not being replaced. Wasn't a bunch of GL's team let go recently to save money?

Elizabeth should come back and join AMC's script writing team. Prevent Amanda L. Beall from sticking her nose where it doesn't belong. She needs to stick to breakdowns ;) right Sinclair? :lol:

Archived