2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Remember that Brian Frons loves Brown/Esensten and when they joined OLTL as script editors, they also were story consultants to help out Higs when she she first joined.

Most script editors do not play a big role in the direction of the stories. The main purpose of the script editor, actually, is to take the load off the headwriter(s), and supervise the writing and completition of the dialogue. Most HWs are too busy plotting out their stories and meeting with their breakdown writers to actually study and edit completed scripts extensively, and so the script editor becomes the trusted authority to do so.

I highly doubt they had a big impact on the stories of Days. Since when has Hogan been somebody who would toss control to subordinate writers? Plus, he has a co-HW (Meg Kelly), so there's even less reason for the script editors to get involved.

One thing to realize about Hogan Sheffer (and I say this as a devout watcher of ATWT), he was extremely hit and miss. When he was good, he was good (hence all the Emmys, but Emmys mean nothing anyway), but when he was bad, he was bad. He liked to ignore veterans. He liked to focus on small groups of characters at a time. He liked schlocky, sloppy, sensational stories. He handled serious social issues poorly. Sound familar? From 2004 onward ATWT was just one big mess. There wasn't even a whole lot of "hit" there. And remember, it all caught up with him because he was fired.

He has managed to coast on his reputation for his first year (00-01) at ATWT, but he spent most of the year wrapping up Leah Laiman's storylines and giving us all sensational payoffs. When he began building his own storylines, he started to crumble (and Carolyn Culliton being demoted and eventually leaving didn't help matters).

• Members

^I wrote a list of the Emmy winning team from GL in 93, but I never wrote a list for GH. I'm pretty sure I have a list of the writers from GH, during the Labine era. If you want, I can post both lists.

Unless you're referring to the OLTL thread in the other forum, where I suggested Karen Harris and Michele Van Jean as co-head writers for the show.

• Members

Well, GL probably has several golden writing teams from 1980 to 1993. LOL!

Here's GL's Emmy Winning Team from 93:

Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team

Nancy Curlee (headwriter)

Stephen Demorest (headwriter)

Lorraine Broderick (headwriter)

James E. Reilly (headwriter)

Nancy Williams Watt (associate headwriter)

Michael Conforti

Bill Elverman

Barbara Esensten

James H. Brown

Trent Jones

N. Gail Lawrence

Pete T. Rich

Sally Mandel

Patrick Mulcahey

Roger Newman

Dorothy Ann Purser

Peggi Schibi

Courtney Sherman

Wisner Washam

Here's the Emmy Winning team from 90:

Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team

Pamela K. Long (headwriter)

Nancy Curlee

Trent Jones

Stephen Demorest

Peter Brash

Nancy Williams Watt

Richard Culliton

N. Gail Lawrence

Pete T. Rich

Melissa Salmons

Here's the Emmy Winning Team from 82:

Patrick Mulcahey

Gene Palumbo

Frank Salisbury

Here's the Emmy Winning Team from 81:

Douglas Marland

Robert Dwyer

Nancy Franklin

Harding Lemay

• Administrator

We found out who the first casualty of GL's mass writer firing is.

GL:

- Jill Lorie Hurst last listead as Associate Head Writer on June 7

Yeah, Mark Christohper is Dena's husband.

Archived