ATWT: Jean Passanante must be fired!

• Members

winterguy, it's not CBS or Procter and Gamble, it's just Jean P. Today's dark and surreal Christmas episode had her dark- and twisted-loving fingerprints all over it. Even the one family bonding moment, between Barbara and Will, was over the idea of losing more family members.

Still, I was surprisingly okay with the episode. I guess my expectations have gotten really low.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You don't have to convince me the woman needs to be fired. I am in no way an avid viewer of ATWT, never have been but I lately it seems no one is enjoying this show, even Na'Vell, who is the biggest Oakdale lover I know. Jean Passanante seemed to have a grasp on the show for a while... I enjoyed the show this time last year with the babyswitch and everything. It was compelling. No a days I read recaps, tune in every once and a while and see nothing interesting at all! She made AMC a horrid mess in her time their so its no surprise she is doing the same to ATWT. ATWT is definately the least entertaining soap on the air right now. Its sad because a while back last year it was probably the best soap on the air.

• Members

The thing is Jean was finishing up Hogan's stories and others he was about to start. That is why ATWT was good last year. Jean writing alone is a complete travesty(sp?). She needs to be fired. I will keep saying it until she is eventually let go!

• Members

I'm done with her after she didn't bother to do a Christmas show! For any show that is ridiculous, but ATWT?! INSANITY! And what they replaced it with was one of the worst episodes of the year! Vienna is fierce, but I thought the stuff they gave her and Katie was out of place.

Something that people need to remember about Passanante is that Hogan was still on the staff most of the time she's been running the show. Plus she had Josh Griffin and other very talented writers on the staff. Now that it's just her the show is like her dreadful vision of AMC.

• Members

Now I can add all time lows for ATWT. Another reason why Jean Passanante and Christopher Goutman should be fired! All time low in 18-34...a rating of 0.6. Another all time low in 25-54 a rating of 1.3. It is time to fire both of them. Come on CBS and Barbara Bloom. Do the right thing and fire both NOW!

• Members

I really don't want to see the show get cancelled, but I hope that the ratings don't improve until the quality of the show improves as well. ATWT can easily contend for the #3 position, but IMO they deserve to be a lot lower now.

As for the Emmys, I don't want to see the show win for writing or Best Show. The only thing is that the show only needs to submit 2 episodes, and they've definitely had more than 2 good episodes this year; however, they usually pick stupid episodes to submit, so I'm not too worried about it. I think GH has it in the bag anyway.

IMO, I see the writing team changing hands in 2007 anyway. It seems like, since the show brought back Richard Culliton, that they're just waiting for a regime change to happen; otherwise, I think they would have hired a newer writer to replace Sheffer when he left.

• Members

A lot of people say that when Culliton was HW, things were awful, but I think that was only b/c Valente was EP at the time and the show was in transition. Besides, the worst didn't come until after Culliton was replaced.

I don't know if he'd be any better w/ Goutman (who I still think needs to go...maybe over to GL), but at least he knows the history of the show, which is a lot more than I can say about JP. The bulk of the characters on today were on back then, so he definitely knows most of their back stories.

I just always found it odd that they brought Culliton back as a script writer...I guess to replace Josh Griffin. Yet, I noticed that they added another script writer, so wouldn't it have been logical that Culliton was actually a replacement for Sheffer, who was a breakdown writer before he left? I think the fact that they didn't come out and say that Culliton was Sheffer's replacement means that something's going to be changing soon w/ the writing staff.

IMO, I could see Culliton being bumped up to co-HW at the beginning of the year, and eventually JP will be pushed down. I don't see the show completely firing her since they don't seem to fire any of their writers. Both Laiman and Sheffer stood on after they were demoted from the HW position.

Now (of course, this is purely wishful thinking), if they could get Carolyn Culliton back as co-HW, I think the show would do a lot better too. I could see the Cullitons bringing ATWT back to being the reputable soap that it usually is.

The sad thing is that the show has to get bad in order for it to get better. It took a really long time for the show to rebound after the disaster in 1996, but that was over 10 years ago and daytime TV was not in as bad of a condition as it is now.

I'm just worried b/c their renewal is coming up soon. I really don't see P&G cancelling ATWT and GL this time around, but if ATWT is in this condition, they'd have a very good excuse to get out now. I don't know how the show could go even lower.

Archived