Staying logged in

razor32always

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But I only have that problem at this site. I got to other boards I'm registered at, and I stay logged in.

When I just came to the board's home page, I wasn't logged in. I visited the Entertainment News section, and I wasn't logged in. I then came to see your response to my post here, and I was logged in. I didn't log in before I clicked on this post though. Do you know why that would happen?

Nikki

• Members

Then I'm not sure what's causing the problem. After leaving the site, how long to you wait to come back? I have no idea if SON does this or not, but if you are away from the site for awhile, your connection to the site may time out, causing you to log in again.

That's the only thing I can think of. But I really have no idea what's causing it.

• Members

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass or anything when I ask what I'm about to......

Is it really that much of a bother to log onto the board each time you visit?

I can see it being a problem if your logged in and out multiple times while browsing the board though.....

• Members

no bc Ive been doing it for months but it is annoying when I just want to lurk on the board. Being logged helps me keep track of what posts are new and what Ive viewed and havent. Its not a huge deal but it definetly makes things more convenient and easier to browse.

Like razor32always, this is also the only site I have this issue with and I visit a few Invision Boards

• Members

Diito what Cheap said.

I've been having trouble, check that, I never seem to remain logged into this site and it's been going on for weeks if not longer. I am a member of several other invision and other boards and have no such trouble. And in the past, I had no such trouble at SON, so I firmly believe it is an SON problem (maybe related to invision, yes, but still specific to SON).

Nothing's changed since the board was down and came back up in a new version. Still, I can go one page off the SON site, come back and be logged out again.

It may seem trivial to some, but I scurry around from board to board and visit SON many times throughout the day and night, so yeah...it gets on my nerves.

And as others mentioned, lurking's fine until you come across a post you want to reply to and then there's the issue of not getting posts marked as read if you're logged out. I hate having to scroll and scroll to get to the next unread post.

The ability to stay logged in should you so choose and marking posts read are common and popular feature of most message boards, so I don't think it's out of line to try and get the problem fixed.

I have cable broadband and IE and have for years now.

Thanks very much,

rs

• Webmaster

I believe I have figured out why this is happening.

There is something called a stronghold auto-login cookie that was put in place upon setup of the SON Community (by Invision setup itself). This is an additional cookie to the standard cookie that is placed in your browser history that contains geographic information about your session in a crypt, which ensures that your cookie session (ie. your login details, etc) are impossible to be found and stolen by a possible hacker via your computer.

I have turned off this setting for now. If the problem continues, please let me know.

Archived