Days: Another person is going to be fired..

• Members

The grumbling around the net is at a roar now. Too many loved character disappearing and too many new ones. Frankly, I've got where I don't care. Bo and Hope aren't fun, Steve and Kayla aren't near the same, Billie is too much the same, blah, blah, so why not try to find the interesting things in the new characters. They will grow on us just as Belle did, so I'm willing to wait (grumble too) and watch them draw us in. If John and Marlena, Alice and Maggie stay to prove this is actually Salem USA, then I'll stick around until another possession or similarly gross story comes along or it gets more violent than recently. My point is, I don't care who goes but hope it's not Chelsea, John, Marlena, Alice or Maggie.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Firing Hope would be horrible. She is my all time favorite and I love Kristian. Yes, Hope has been acting like a shrew lately, but I know this will change.

And if they fire her, well... I'm thinking this is it... But I would always think that Hope should be on DAYS till the end! She was the leading lady for so long!

• Members

That's only your opinion. It wouldn't bother me in the least if I ever saw Marlena again on this show, but I realize Deidre has a huge fanbase that would be very upset if she was fired.

My personal opinion is that the older "vets" are becoming more of a liability to have around because of the salary they command. Maybe Corday has just decided that it would be better business to cut the liabilities and try to save the show.

I don't consider Suzanne Rogers "a liability. " I remember when the SSK storyline eliminated her and how upset she was because she said that she barely makes a pittance in salary.

It could be Jim Reynolds, but again, I don't consider him an "icon."

My speculation is also Drake or Kristian. As much as I care about Bo and Hope, I could live with it if Kristian was let go. I have realized since Days hired Julie Pinson that she and Peter do have a lot of chemistry. And since we don't hear anything about Julie leaving, it wouldn't surprise me if this happened. The only way I could quit Days completely is if they let go of Peter Reckell. I've always favored him.

• Members

Sadly, I am more and more thinking that this is about it for DAYS. They brought in a good, mostly-respected writer who could wrap things up and take the show out on a high note in 2009...this is becoming increasingly believable. If it's one of the big "icons," I'll feel even more that this is the case.

• Members

It's amazing how things have changed from such positivity to downright trash regarding DAYS. This is no different than the serial killer storyline. People are just waiting for the next big name to go. Kristian should be the last person fired. She has done a lot for this show and its history. At one point Bo and Hope were the only reason people were watching it was THEIR storyline that dominated the show. Her return in 1994 made ratings go up a WHOLE POINT...

I don't think it is Alfonso, and if it is, then, DAYS is just headed for cancellation. What was all the hoopla about with Hogan? He was supposed to take this show in a different direction. People expected little from JER when he returns because he was never regarded as a good writer by half of the industry. People have much more expectations from Hogan and he is failing and this news is making it worst.

• Members

Well, most, if not all of this, is out of Hogan's hands. He can't control who gets fired and who stays. Any HW on DAYS right now would be in an unenviable situation. But I agree, if Alfonso is next, DAYS is done. And I don't even think that's an exaggeration.

• Members

Sadly, yes. And I think Reckell will be after Alfonso.

And, I try to be positive, but due to the fact there are a bunch of new age fans, but I used to always think "There was a Days before Bo and Hope, and there was even one after Bo and Hope at one time. It could live on." but now with like I said the new age fans Days is done of Bo and Hope are gone, or even one of them. :( I am a Bo and Hope fan a big one, but I liked couples like Austin and Carrie and John and Marlena more, so at times I think that since Austin and Carrie didn't get Days canceled, Bo and Hope won't but they will, because they have bigger fanbases.

So sadly, as much as I hate it, if Alfonso and Reckell are gone that is obvious proof Days is going to be gone by the end of it's next contract.

• Members

I think we should wait on all the Days doom and gloom until we know who this is. It may have just been an idea tossed around and taken out of context. I am aware that same poster was right about RJ and SR but still. Let's wait and see. I don't think Corday would get rid of one of the big six even if Days was going off. If it's to go out on top, it needs those people. Period.

Also, let's keep the Hogan blame out of this. That man has nothing to do with the people being axed. he is probably just as mad as any of us because he is having to constantly change his plans and that is keeping his stories from getting going.

This is nothing like the SSK. They said it was budget cuts then but they proved it wasn't by bringing them all back and even adding new characters and bringing back more former faves. This time it is budget cuts and trying to re-shape the show for what is to come. It's a major transition for the show and sometimes sacrifices are necessary for a show to better and continue. I am not saying I advocate firing one of the big six but we don't know what goes into their decision making as far as story, money, etc unless we are in that room.

I don't see this being Drake or Deidre or Stephen and Mary Beth. I think Peter and Kristian are being worried about because of the contracts but I would be shocked if either of them was canned. I know this person said "icon" but we still don't have any more hints then that and aren't sure what she means by that or what she considers characters like that. She said the characters were major but that could alsp be someone like Suzanne who is major in history and is an icon due to her years on the show. It could also be Jim since he is an icon having been on Days for years and being the longest running african american character on daytime I beleive. He is also a major character in many ways so he is there too.

Let's just wait and see but blaming Hogan isn't logical and then going on and on about this being it for Days is actually jumping ahead of the game a bit.

• Members

Phoenix, you are right about holding off on the doom and gloom. I still feel that alot of this has to do with Mascolo and Davidson. I feel like if it was still the original budget cuts, more would have been heard about it before hand. Also Hogan would have known more cuts were coming, and would have not made long-term plans for every character knowing some biggies might be cut. Or at least he would have been smart enough not to open his mouth about them.

I feel these cuts are something new or for a new purpose.

My only fear is that depending on who gets cut now any gain that could be brought about by bringing Davidson, Mascolo, or Sorel back will be negated by the continual firings of current fan favorites.

Whether it is that person's fault or not, the person returning now is going to have to shoulder part of the blame for another person's dismissal and deal with that from their fans.

And depending on how long Hogan has known about these firings I am sure he is not liking them for another reason. He is probably already having to rewrite or rework stories that he already had planned. That is not good in an already transition period.

• Members

I'm thinking about Bo and Hope. They have been to hell and back since Chelsea arrived and Zack was killed. Bo has been fired. Hope is slowly starting to forgive Bo now. Hogan told us that Bo and Hope would help Steve and Kayla (and they fulfilled this by helping out with the list of memories). Hogan has also promised that Bo and Hope will have a Christmas miracle when they learn the baby is Bo's. Nothing else has really been said about this couple, yet it's constantly thrown in our face that Bo can't "keep it in his pants" as long as he's in the same zip code as Billie.

After all they have been through, I'm wondering if Hogan may not send them off together -- to give them time to reconnect. This special Christmas of theirs could be a way of wrapping up their storyline. This would take away two huge salaries.

We know Hogan wants to build up the next generation, so I think Max, Abby, Chelsea, Nick, Belle, and Shawn are safe. The character of Mickey exists, but there is no actor in the role (would he send Maggie away with Mickey to be closer to their kids?). Roman is dead weight. Kate has been involved with E.J., but she's not doing much of anything. But I think her ties to Sami and Lucas stand in her favor. Lucas & Sami are safe. I don't think Hogan would fire the only black actor left (Abe; I don't count Tek). I think Hogan has big plans for Bonnie vs. Victor, and apparently the Mimi character will be recast if necessary. Steve & Kayla are just getting started, and Hogan loves Mary Beth. Drake & Deidre have been working a lot, and Hogan wants to make Dee a pivotal character again. She's safe.

I think the following are at risk of being fired:

Maggie

Roman

Bo

Hope

Billie

I vote for Roman and Billie.

Archived