Days: Another person is going to be fired..

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If there is going to be a big firing, I think it may spell trouble too for the writers backstage. We already have another posted rumor that says 7 writers were fired. And I know that most are hoping it is the holdovers from the JER days, but some of the writers that Hogan has brought on have a longer history with Days and daytime. If Days is trying to cut the budget to get Mascolo or Davidson and need big money, it may mean trouble for some of the better writers. I hope not for Days sake.

I would have definitely felt the JER holdovers were more in danger until this rumor that there is going to be a big cast firing.

• Members

I would hate to see Kate go...I really wanted to watch her during the rise of the Dimera's...that would be interesting to see which side she would choose and such...

Cutting Roman wouldn't make a strong difference as to the current storyline...maybe writing him as "leaving Salem for a better job" during the Holidays, as they did with Frankie...

The one thing I am wondering is if Davetta Sherwood is coming to Salem?...and if so...I would guess they would use her with Abe...but then again...they did fire Lexie...so...ahh..I'll have to think this over more...

• Members

Sorry, but I really don´t think the big six is safe. At the end. it´s just business for Corday and based on numbers he really managed to get rid of all supercouple and couple oriented fans. The ratings now aren´t much better than during Reilly´s worst crap, it´s obvious people who are still watching the show are watching it out of habit, not because they actively care about the show or its characters. If someone from the big six is going to be fired, it will be a big thing for us and those few remaining hardcore internet fans, but I really doubt it would have any huge impact on ratings.

Of course, the same can be said about any huge returns like Joe Mascolo or Eileen Davidson. But I really don´t think all these cuts are because of them.

I´m very, very afraid Corday is simply cutting his loses. He is looking at it as a businessman and from that POV it´s unecessary to pay huge salaries for so many DAYS fan favorites and veterans when he is probably able to get the same, or only slightly worse ratings with a bunch of newbies.

• Members

Uh...maybe the fanbases are but I know many that aren't so don't make assumptions. Most of us on SON are enjoying the show right now and are not watching merely out of habit and are liking a good deal of what we are seeing. The show isn't perfect but it's much better and we are not watching for specific characters or couples.

As for the ratings, well it's only been two months and Hogan has a mess to deal with. Plus, with the fanbases being as whiny and fickle as ever I am not surprised it's taking long for the ratings to improve even a little bit.

I agree that the big 6 may not be as safe as they once were but I still think they are safe to an extent. I am beginning to think the big ouster is Jim Reynolds, Lauren Koslow, or Suzanne Rogers.

• Members

To me, icon only says one person and that's Deidre Hall.

I also have a bad feeling about Peter and Kristian. If this firing is as huge as the poster is saying, I could actually see Days not recovering from it. People may not like fanbases, but really they are the backbone of this show. TPTB created them back in the 80's and most of them have been with the show religiously.

• Members

Yeah and those fanbases are the very same ones who are never satisfied and never seem to make up their mind what they want. They are also the very same fanbases that are killing the show right now.

I am thinking Maggie, Kate, or Abe but icon tells me it may be Maggie.

I don't see it being Marlena or Hope. I just can't see Corday making that move as stupid as he is at times.

• Members

Icon

noun 1. a picture, image, or other representation.

2. Eastern Church. a representation of some sacred personage, as Christ or a saint or angel, painted usually on a wood surface and venerated itself as sacred.

3. a sign or representation that stands for its object by virtue of a resemblance or analogy to it.

4. Computers. a picture or symbol that appears on a monitor and is used to represent a command, as a file drawer to represent filing.

5. Semiotics. a sign or representation that stands for its object by virtue of a resemblance or analogy to it.

If one goes by the correct definition of the term, the fired person would be someone widely viewed as synonymous with DAYS. In other words, someone you could not imagine the show without.

IMO, only the following would be included in this category:

Alice

Marlena

Sami

Bo

Hope

John

I'm excluding Steve and Kayla because they've just returned and are unfamiliar to a significant portion of the viewing public. I would also exclude Abe, Maggie & Caroline since all 3 have been axed before. Neither Kate nor Lucas come close to "iconic" status, IMO.

However, if this person is using a liberal definition of "icon", then any of the above could be included.

• Members

I dunno, I think Maggie is less of a stretch than the others, certainly less than Abe, Caroline, Shawn Sr, Kate, Lucas, etc. As I understand it the three big couples before the proper supercouple era were Doug and Julie, Bill and Laura, and Mickey and Maggie. Clearly she has gone a long while without serious airtime and so that plays a factor, but if they're trying to drum up buzz I can see how the word might extend to Maggie before it extends to some of the other non big six candidates.

Archived