Y&R: November Preview

• Members

November Preview (from Sony Pictures board)

Halloween may be over, but the dirty tricks - and maybe a few treats - keep coming for Genoa City's denizens. EP/HW LML previews what fans can expect for November.

Victor vs Jack!

Victor sets a trap to uncover Jack's secrets, namely that he is the true owner of Jabot. "It's a game of cat and mouse," says Latham. "Victor says some things that make Jack wonder if Victor may be on to him, but he can't be quite sure." But Victor isn't the only one causing tension in Jack's life. "As Phyllis gets closer to her due date, it's very difficult for Jack to watch her be so happy and have the child they should have had together with another man!"

Who Killed Carmen?

Naturally, the spotlight of suspicion in Carmen's mysterious death falls on her most vocal enemy, but Dru isn't the only member of the Winters house who may be guilty. "The family is worried that one of them may have killed Carmen," confesses LML. "Dru, of course, is a big suspect, but so is Devon." Making matters worse, Devon's dream of getting a cochlear implant is shattered and D.A. Will Bardwell begins to wonder if the clan's out-of-town trip for the surgery was real...or a ruse to let a murderer escape!

Family Troubles

Sheila's death doesn't stop Lauren's emotional roller coaster ride as she and Michael bring baby Fen home. "This is a very joyful time for the couple, but at the same time, it's also very difficult for Lauren," says LML. "She can't let go of her fear of Sheila." Meanwhile, Victoria and Brad draw closer as they alibi each other for Carmen's death. Yet will Michael uncover evidence that exposes the pair? And jealousy dogs Colleen when her professor begins working with Victoria to create an art show. Not liking the new development either, Brad hires JT to investigate Korbel. "Brad is suspicious of anyone who tries to get close to his family," shares LML.

An Arrival... And A Departure

Amber Moore's sudden appearance will have more than a few tongues wagging. And will Billy's departure cause friction between Katherine and Jill? Or will something else pit these two women against each other? "Katherine begins having nightmares that may have something to do with her past with Jill," teases LML. On a lighter note, romance deepens between Jill and Will, but Gloria isn't exactly out of the running. "In this day of the internet, people can find the most minute details on anyone," the scribe reveals. "And Gloria uses this in her quest to become William's perfect woman."

Cover Story: WHODUNIT? You May Be Looking At Carmen's Killer! (pics of Dru, Jack, Sharon Neil, Brad, CK's Lily)

A bomb going off in the middle of GC would have been less shocking to its denizens than the discovery of Carmen's dead body. But this week on Y&R, the surprises continue when it becomes increasingly apparent that there are no shortage of suspects that may have wanted to eliminate the dark-haired beauty. But only one person took that dastardly desire to the next level, and the hunt is now on for the culprit who has blood on his - or her - hands!

Making matters even murkier is the fact that the blunt force trauma that killed Carmen could have been deliberate first-degree murder or a case of spur-of-the-moment manslaughter. Although killing the lovely Latina in a fit of rage certainly widens the pool of suspects, her rival, Dru, tops the list on both counts.

"Dru has made no secret of her dislike of Carmen, so she is the No. 1 suspect as far as the police are concerned," shares EP/HW LML. "It does look bad for Dru because Carmen was killed right before Dru had to go to court about breaking the restraining order. And everyone in town knew about the animosity between the women. But the Winters family is worried that one of their own could have done it. And they do things to protect each other."

The Usual Suspects

Ironically, a living-breathing Carmen was one of the main obstacles driving a wedge between Dru and Neil, but the woman's death will actually bring them together like nothing else could. "It's safe to assume that the entire Winters family could be put under the microscope, but especially Dru because of her pure hatred and disgust with Carmen, seeing that Carmen in her eyes tried to steal her husband away," agrees Kristoff St John. "But the events surrounding Carmen's death have absolutely put their marriage back on the right track. I think it really is a matter of Neil and Dru being in this together as a team. It's like, 'We're in this together, there's no looking back, we stick to our story, and let's protect each other."

The pressure increases for the couple, however, when suspicion also falls on their children. Lily detested Carmen because she perceived her as trying to put the moves on her father and break up her parents' marriage. Similarly, Devon had a few blow-outs with the 'other woman' on that same topic - and he was caught on the hotel's surveillance camera trying to deliver an envelope to her room.

"Dru's concern for herself is compounded by her son being a suspect," confesses her portrayer, Victoria Rowell. "And she's implicated her husband...It's triple jeopardy in the Winters family!"

Saving Devon

As far as Devon is concerned, KSJ believes that his alter ego will do almost anything to protect the young man. "When it comes to his son, he may try to stretch the truth a little bit, seeing as Devon is so innocent in his father's eyes - literally innocent as far as Neil is concerned - and somewhat helpless because of his medical condition," he says. "Neil is particularly concerned with his son's well being. So if and when the spotlight is put on Devon, Neil would be the first to back him up."

While Neil has faith that Devon is innocent, he may not be so confident about his wife. Indeed, even Rowell admits that her character could have been responsible for her rival's untimely demise. "The unfolding events continue to show that she's capable," insists the actress. "It happens all the time, unfortunately, where someone goes into a corporate environment and pulls a gun on employees. So far, Dru has demonstrated that she's had an agenda. I've heard 'Stand by your man,' but Dru goes to great extremes at this point," she adds, offering a mischevious smile. "And just when you thought it couldn't get worse. It's going to get a lot worse for Dru!"

Pushed To The Edge?

Of course, Neil is hardly in the clear, either. "It would be a very interesting twist if Neil was the killer," KSJ admits w/ a grin. "I don't think he is, but I think Neil began looking at Carmen in a different light in recent weeks. He had hoped that she would be a little easier on his family seeing how Devon has been sick, but she was on the warpath to see justice done for her own sake. I say this about sports - any team on any given day can beat another team depending on the emotions. I would have to assume that it's a very similar thing when it comes to this particular event. A man pushed to the edge, feeling backed into a corner, feeling his family's future is at stake...Would he be capable of murder? That primal instinct and rage to commit a crime as heinous as taking someone's life is not in Neil's nature, but I think he's capable of doing it if it meant protecting his offspring, his cubs and his lioness."

The Price Of Silence

The same could be said about several other suspects. Certainly Carmen uncovering the secret that Jack is Jabot's true owner shortly before her death could toss the mogul into the ring of suspects. "Jack will do anything to keep Jabot," LML teases. "If he thought Carmen could hurt his plans, he could be quite ruthless."

Jack's girlfriend, Sharon, has her own reason for shooting dirty looks Carmen's way. "She and Dru are good friends," LML notes. And because her own husband was only recently seduced by another woman, "Sharon's emotions may be heightened."

Meanwhile, Brad has already revealed the deadliest side to his persona. "To protect his family, Brad has proven he can do just about anything," agrees portrayer Don Diamont. "And he thinks that maybe Carmen may have heard something about his past. I think all bets are off."

Hoping to direct suspicion from himself, the hunk takes a page out of the Winterses' playbook and has his wife provide an alibi for him. "But maybe Victoria's the one that needs the alibi," DD suggests. "Carmen was trying to get a lot of money out of Newman Enterprises; that made Victoria furious."

In the coming weeks Detective Maggie Sullivan and D.A. William Bardwell will be quite busy sifting through the evidence. And LML says fans may learn a few surprising things about Carmen. "A lot of people in town may have had a reason to be upset with her," she hints. "And if you remember, this may not have been a deliberate murder. This is going to be one of those times when nothing is what it appears to be," she previews. "There are so many layers here. One by one, we'll reveal the secrets in all these people's lives."

Buzz

Y&R will air a special episode on Nov. 10 illustrating all the different murder scenarios in the "Who Killed Carmen?" storyline. "I have a mystery mastermind on the show, Scott Hamner," explains EP/HW Lynn Marie Latham. "He plotted the 'General Homicide' murders when we did Port Charles together. He's been the architect of this story." Hamner knows who the culprit is, of course, but few others do. "Believe me, I've had a lot of actors ask me, 'Am I it?'" laughs Latham. "I'm going to be horribly disappointed if the secret gets out."

Applause Applause (Performer of the Week) - Tracey Bregman For her scenes surrounding her going into labor at Nick and Phyllis' engagement party and premature birth of her son.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was watching Port Charles during the homicide murders. Actually it was the only time I watched the show...

But there it was done properly: On PC it had built-up, suspense... Whereas now on Y&R there is nothing: Everyone is glad Carmen's got the shaft and built-up for a mystery was abysmal...

• Members

Someone said it nicely: how so un-Y&R to dive into a murder mystery. The woman might be an accomplished writer, but she just doesn't fit into the Y&R canvas.

And what will happen when all those great writers go to write for another soap...

• Members

Wow, he has to be embrassed to have his name linked to this murder mystery... because for Y&R, this storyline is crap. It's biggest downfall: no build up on the suspects or Carmen and her behavior. The only thing that interesting, is what motive will they pull out of their ass for whoever is the killer is... something weak and that just recently discovered, I'm sure.

• Members

PC's "General Homicide" murders SUCKED. The buildup was really good...but Julie was revealed to be the murderer. And she was in the Versaille(sp.?) Room when Jake was murdered. It's like Hamner pulled Julie out of his ass.

Thank goodness Karen Harris rectified that decision and made Greg Cooper the real killer.

Archived