Happy Thanksgiving Canada!

DruRocks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks DruRocks!

I feel like a beached whale!

We had turkey AND ham yesterday at my boyfriend's sister's place out of town (Kingston, Ont.). There must have been at least 40 people there; their extended family, friends, co-workers. She even invited two of the elderly widows on the street who would have otherwise been alone. She recently moved to a new home with a dream kitchen: a big huge gas range with 6 burners, a grille and two ovens, plus more refrigeration space than I've ever seen (drawers under the couter for veggies!). And she has another electric range and fridge in a tiny little basement kitchen off her rec-room. All three ovens were going, all fridges were full. She asked was that some of us, my BF included, bring homemade desserts (he's great at cakes and brought three, but other people brought strudels and flans and wonderful pies and squares and bars). Nanaimo Bars!!!!! I'm getting a sugar rush just thinking about them. I'd never had them before.

We arrived late Saturday night (and even then his sister was up baking hams) and I was told I had the task of breakfast the next day, the day of the big feast for the dozen or so of us worker bees. We'd all be working hard and probably skipping lunch so I went for calories too. I knew this beforehand so brought a load of Montreal croissants ( très fançais) and bagels and lox , cream cheese and latkes and sour cream. I thought that would be enough but noo oooo, I had to do eggs and bacon and pancakes & syrup too. I even made a few french toasts. They worked it all off later. But cooking on that stove was a pleasure. I wish gas was available in my neighbourhood.

Tonight we go to Mom's for a much smaller gathering of about 8, I believe. She's always hated turkey so we'll be having her pot roast, which I love, and yet another one of my boyfriend's cakes for dessert.

• Members

We did thanksgiving at work cause we all had to work the holiday at the call center. Our team did a thanksgiving potluck. We had an amazing amount of food. And we were originally just going to grab the food on our scheduled lunches (as if anyone here's worked in a call center, you know you're scheduled up the wazoo and production doesn't stop), but our supervisor took our team off the phones, paid, and we all got to sit down in one of the conference rooms with basically no time restriction on when to return. That doesn't just ... happen! (best supervisor ever!)

I made these awesome stuffed potatoes. Hollowed out potato shells, stuffed with a mashed potato mixture of potato, sour cream, ranch salad dressing, velveda cheese, bacon and green onions. MMMMMMMMMM!

This is probably my favourite Thanksgiving ever. We all had so much fun just chilling out.

Archived