I want to write a book!

DruRocks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks, Dru.

I'd advise you to get three things.

1) A notebook (You'll be able to jot down your thoughts when you're not at the computer)

2) Flash drive (Be sure to save your work and ofen; computers act funny and it's good to have your files saved on elecronic format. I prefr longhand and then type up what I have)

3) Dictionary& thesaurus (Dictionary's my second Bible. It's a holy grail of words. I used to look up words for fun. You'll find using he dcitionary and thesaurus will help you avoid redundancy).

As for the rough drafts that you have so far, are they all for the same story but different beginnings? Pick the one that hooks the reader's attention.

Here's a site that I go to.

Writer's Water Cooler

I'm "Can't Catch A Break"

• Members

^Thanks for the help Q Steph I have all of the above necessities to get started. I've jotted down some stuff but just on pieces of paper, I'll have to take transfer those thouhts into a notebook. BTW how long did it take you to complete you book?

See you at the water cooler B)

• Members

It took me 3 months to write. A year to "perfect". Another yer to get published. Four months to cancel my contract. Two months and counting to await a response.

Don't be afraid to show your work to people.

It's good to have a notebook and not loose collection of paper. I hate writing something down and losing it.

• Members

Don't you have an agent, Q StephI have a number of author friends who got no where without an agent. One agent that I know says be careful of punctuation and spelling. Your manuscript won't get anywhere if it's not right. Of course, there are people, like me LOL, who love to find errors in the printed books. They all have them, I think. Good luck with your book, DruRocks. I admire your spirit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I wrote a little novel about a girl in law school who had a goth artist twin.

It touched on feminism and rape too. No one would touch it so I shelved the manuscript.

I'm working on a goth poetry anthology now and a second novel about ghosts & unrequited love.

I keep changing the characters and the plot. I'm not a serious writer.

I think I'll go back and finish my accounting designation next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ladies, I heard from the postential writer that I mentioned previously. He says that he really learned that he has more talent in music instead of writing so he is really into music now and has his own recording company. Guess that's success for the talented. I knew he had music talent as I already had a CD of his music. Anyway, he did send this idea for you all.

Something they may wish to consider: Find the genre they are looking to write in; then hit the bookstores and write down the names of publishers and agents that represent the writers most closely matching what they are writing about. Next, Google the web, make phone calls, etc. in order to obtain a mailing address, email address, or some type of contact information for that publisher/managing agent/agency. I’ve had my non-fiction shot down by an agent on the basis that I lacked the credentials to write about the subject matter in question. I also recently had a video production idea (through the crafting of a Treatment) shot down by a video managing agency with the simple response of, “this is not what we’re looking for at this time” type of message. Of course, having spent thousands of dollars cultivating the idea means I simply need to find other avenues to make it work. This business is filled with countless stories of how well-known writers have been rejected time, and time again before finding the right springboard to launch their respective careers.

I hope this gives some different perspective for you to pursue. Good luck and keep us posted.

Archived