All: Telenovelas:Is anyone on this message board going to be watching these new shows

danthig

• Members

I'm curious to see how the shows do on American TV. I'm still not sure that telenovelas will translate well in English, b/c IMO, the language is what makes the shows enjoyable and I think that the reason behind their ratings success is b/c of the strong Latino/a population in the country. I watch telenovelas all the time b/c they're a good way for me to continue learning Spanish when I'm not in school during the summers.

However, I think the telenovela format is a lot more accomodating to Americans now than the US soaps are b/c they're only short-term and the writers already have an ending, so the progression never is conflicted.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think in the long run My Network TV is going to win the battle for the "Fifth Broadcast Network." The CW is basically a hybrid of UPN and The WB and those two networks failed.

Plus I think it helps that My Network TV are truly committed to making these telenovelas work so they are not just going to drop them if they don't do well in the beginning. So fans can actually enjoy watching the Desire and Secret Obsessions series without worrying if it will be canceled.

The CW has already canceled a lot of great shows from both UPN and The WB that I'm not too happy about since I actually like some of the shows that were on UPN and The WB. I like UPN's Half & Half. That was a great show that had been on UPN for four seasons and they have 91 episodes. Also, I think it sucks that The WB's Everwood got canceled as well. Everwood has also been on for four seasons and they had 89 episodes. Both of those shows should have made The CW's schedule.

My Network TV gives the local affiliates more ad time during the primetime hours whereas The CW gives the local affiliates less ad time during the primetime hours. That means more money for the local My Network TV affiliates. I think those affiliates that passed on My Network TV because they assumed that The CW will be more successful are going to be kicking themselves when My Network TV do well in the ratings and demographics. And those affiliates who got My Network TV because The CW chose other stations to affiliate with are going to be so happy in the long run when My Network TV becomes very popular in pop culture.

I think "Desire: Table for Three" and "Secret Obsessions: Fashion House" will do well for My Network TV. I'm very interested in both telenovelas.

• Members

Never heard this theory before, but it SOOO wouldn't surprise me. MyNetworkTV is owned by NewsCorp, the same company that owns all FOX divisions. In the beginning, FOX stuck with its raunchy, racy, ethnic-friendly programming to build a fanbase. Almost 20 years laters and a few successful hits, FOX is now a worthy contender in, not only ratings, but in most television awards as well.

I definitely see MyNetworkTV winning the "Fifth Network Race" also. But probably not in its first season.

The execs at MyNetworkTV see this channel as very "cost-effective" programming. For a week of shows, the pricetag is a little under a million dollars. For the average primetime show(even those on CW), the pricetag is well above that.

Not to mention making money from putting their reruns in syndication overseas, for a future daytime lineup comprised of reruns, or even SOAPnet. The fact that FOX/NewsCorp own these shows(and the fact that they are cheap to produce) will help keep the telenovela format thriving for at least one full season.

I think MyNetworkTV will totally be an underground hit: talked about, critically raved(or ranted) about, and will eventually bring ratings success to the new network.

I think it speaks volumes when a FOX Affiliate(my affiliate) wants to turn itself into a MyNetworkTV affiliate. I mean, the extra ad-time is an incentive, yes. But this affiliate must have complete and utter faith that this new network will become successful.

Bold move, but I'm absolutely excited about having a channel devoted to English-Language telenovelas. Even if they are adaptations. Primetime is too much of the same crap. And anything to get me away from GREY'S ANATOMY.

I'd like to see CW fail, because I, too, think they got rid of the wrong shows. And 7TH HEAVEN for an 11th Season?! WTF EVER!

DESIRE looks boring as hell in the promos, but FASHION HOUSE just looks so campy and glamorous. I'm so glad Bo Derek is headlining this one. She seems like she plays smug !@#$%^&*] to perfection.

• Members

I agree that MyNetworkTV won't win the initial battle, but I think that MyNetworkTV will show much growth from September 2006 to September 2007. I think by the start of its second season MyNetworkTV, that the new crop of telenovelas may be a worthy contender against the CW.

FOX did stick with its edgy programming, just MyNetworkTV is sticking with the telenovelas, but I think that I read it was also helped by the addition of football to its lineup, which added affiliates. I think what the CW and MyNetworkTV have over all other stations that have been started is that there clearance is much higher than FOX, the WB and UPN. All the people on this forum saying that MyNetworkTV won't air in their area is probably gonna hurt the network.

I could definitely see MyNetworkTV launching a daytime lineup of reruns under something like "MyClassics" or something like that. I do know however that FOX/NewsCorp has an agreement with the affiliates not to repurpose the programming for at least a year, which may hold up DVD releases, overseas sales, and a daytime lineup (which I think would have been ideal to launch around May/June 2007 to get teens into the format).

Also I read that the original providers of the novelas (Xystus and Caracol among others) have mentioned they have the right to dub them and sell them abroad, which may hurt FOX in terms of selling them abroad. I wouldn't think that these other companies would be forced to follow the 1 year agreement and could hit the foreign market with the product before FOX.

The other thing I'm wondering is now that Nielsen is supposedly going to be tracking commercial ratings wouldn't that be an incentive to switch? I mean even though FOX may have some very popular shows, the commerical ratings may very well hurt some networks. I know that while SoapNet isn't one of the highest rated cable channels, but because the research has shown that it is one of the few channels that has an audience who watches for the whole program that it is able to bring in some very good money. The new Nielsen system could really end up helping MyNetworkTV's launch.

I've been watching the prequels at MyNetworkTV and Bo Derek is amazing as the show's main diva. It's funny how the show is pimping the feud between Maria-Sophia in the commercials and Morgan Fairchild says there is only three actual fights between Maria and Sophia and two of them are featured in the commercials: the one at the car and one with the syringe at the hospital.

"Desire" looks better based on some the pictures the director of photography has up on line, but they are major spoiler pics that reveal some major plot points. The side plot revolving around Cara and her mafia family seems much more interesting than the restaurant stuff.

I think serialized programming is something that Americans want, but find the time that they have traditionally been on unfeasible. Even though I wasn't a fan of the series, the cable soap "Spyder Games" did very well considering it was on cable. While for most of its run it was pulling in a million viewers, which was about 1.0 around that time, I heard others state that the show ended around 1.5 which wasn't much lower than Port Charles or Passions ratings around that time. I think the fact that these shows won't go on forever and will be considered more modern will work in their favor.

A side note, MyNetworkTV is making these shows available in SAP, so I wonder if it will give Univision a run for its money or if it'll be fighting with Telemundo for the bottom of the barrel.

I've read telenovela forums where viewers flip out when the network has extended the novela, as I think they just did with "Las Feas Mas Bella" (the latest Mexican adaption of "Yo Soy Betty la Fea") was extended. That's why I think if American networks want to extend a novela, they should just realize they have soap operas on in the daytime, and that they would be better suited for the early evening hours between 5 and 8.

• 6 years later...

Archived