Characters That Were Re/Cast with Perfect Actor, But Fizzled or Flopped

• Members

I agree with this. This was back in the day when DH was still Roman. Plus, I'd been a Luke and Laura fan yet I found her very appealing as a more grown-up, professional character like Diana as opposed to just Luke's other half. I still have some Roman/Diana stuff on tape. Didn't the return of Deirdre Hall/Marlena basically mean Diana/Roman were doomed?

I would also say Mary Beth Evans as Katherine on GH. Despite her fairly long tenure on the show (around 5 years or so) and MBE's ability to pull off comedy, bitchiness, compassion, etc., the character of Katherine never seemed to be written as the focal point of any story. She was always an appendage to another character...Damian's partner, Lucy's rival, Mac's girlfriend, Stefan's latest obsession. She was just there to be somebody else's foil, or to react to someone else and she didn't have any family connections of her own. I mean, I had loved MBE on Days but there were plenty of times on GH when Katherine was in a scene and I just wondered what she was doing there.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Katherine was something of a mess of a character. I don't think they ever had an early idea for her beyond, "Kayla will be a bitch, that will get us some attention," and the later attempts to tame her were not believable. I thought MBE did a great job, considering.

Genie left a year or so before Deirdre's return. Supposedly she wasn't happy with the role.

• Members

Really, it was that long? All I remember is something about Diana and Roman in a museum, Diana being wrapped up in a carpet and that it was hinted at the time that it was the start of a story of something to possibly do with Marlena. Oh well, I watched DOOL during a Marlena-free period (the late 80s, very early 90s). I just remember thinking, crap, they're bringing back Marlena to mess up Roman and Diana.

• Members

I haven't watched enough of that time to tell you, but I think Roman was already well into a relationship with Isabella when Marlena arrived.

For once the age issue didn't bother me. I thought BMH had the heart which Joey needed, and I hated that the show pissed it away.

• Members

Ah...okay, I think then they were probably teasing the idea of Marlena returning from the dead to stir up Roman and Diana but it didn't happen at that time.

Re, MBE on GH. I wanted to enjoy her, having loved her on DOOL. But I just could not get into the Katherine Bell character. She just always felt like a secondary person in someone else's storyline or scene. There were no living, breathing, family connections for her on the show and her attachments were always based on either her rivalry with Lucy or whoever she was sleeping with at the time.

• Members

When DH returned as Marlena, Roman had just gotten engaged to Isabella. There was a tease that Marlena was alive during Roman/Diana, though. I don't know if they were in talks with DH and it fell through or what, but it was definitely hinted that Marlena was alive and well.

Archived