Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Infamous/Unique Contract Clauses

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 juppiter

juppiter

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Let's list them? Not just actors but also writers/producers with quirky contract clauses.

Probably the most well-known is Eileen Fulton's Granny Clause on ATWT that her character could not become a grandmother.

Jensen Buchanan's much-lampooned "Helicoptered into the studio" clause on AW.

I think Tom Eplin had a clause in his last AW contract that he would be able to soap hop to another P&G show if AW got canceled.

Any others?

#2 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Tony Geary gets to rewrite whatever dialogue he thinks is "out of character" for Luke.

#3 LeClerc

LeClerc

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

A couple of years ago SOD revealed that some writers had a clause in their contracts that granted them an early release from their contracts if a certain headwriter returned to their show, dubbed the "McTavish" clause (although it wasn't made clear if McTavish was the only HW named in these clauses, or whether there were others and McTavish just had the honor of having the clause named after her).

#4 quartermainefan

quartermainefan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

The most infamous contract had to be Beverlee McKinsee's because how it eventually came into play. Her departure has to be one of the most satisfying stories ever told about daytime.

#5 beebs

beebs

Contract

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Can I just ask WTF is this helicopter clause for JB on AW? I'm laughing already at the thought of it.

#6 juppiter

juppiter

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

The most infamous contract had to be Beverlee McKinsee's because how it eventually came into play. Her departure has to be one of the most satisfying stories ever told about daytime.

Oh, I totally forgot about that! That is truly a tale for the ages.

Can I just ask WTF is this helicopter clause for JB on AW? I'm laughing already at the thought of it.

They had to helicopter her from her home to the studio every day. It is pretty funny, but I can't hate her for it. She lived in Westchester I think so a commute to Brooklyn would have been very difficult.

#7 Eric83

Eric83

SLAYONCE

• Members
  • 9,592 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

What's the Beverlee McKinsey story?

#8 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yes please tell the story!

#9 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

http://iriswheeler.t...de19920811.html

#10 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,601 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

What's the Beverlee McKinsey story?

Yeah can you guys please explain what you are talking about instead of just listing the actors name

#11 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Beverlee is probably the only actress over 50 that got the best of JFP and royally f.ucked her over with that clause (which Jill thought was a joke and didn't know existed).

Basically, Bev had an out clause in her contract that stipulated that she could leave the show at any time, as long as she gave 8 weeks notice or something. She exercised it before a scheduled vacation (ironically, Jill was on vacation at this time as well).

#12 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,303 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Bahahhaahaaa I love it! Those idiots clearly didn't read her contract carefully, good for her

#13 DaytimeFan

DaytimeFan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

One of Joan Collins' Dynasty contracts was interesting because it granted her the rights to the character of Alexis, in perpetuity, as Joan was at one time concerned that she'd be fired for asking for a raise and that the role would be recast (she'd seen recasts with most of the Carrington children). What it also means for Joan is that if a spin-off series or movie is ever made, she will see a cut of the profits because the production has to pay her to use/recast the character.

And then there was Deidre Hall's "with Deidre Hall as Marlena Evans" credits clause in her contract before she was fired in 2009.

#14 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Black in the Day Soapy Goodness

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Is this only relegated to soaps? Because the first thing that came to mind was the late and great Dame Elizabeth's contract clause that she should not work during her menstrual period.

#15 JAS0N47

JAS0N47

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

On "Days", Deidre Hall, Wayne Northrop and Alan Alda's dad, Robert Alda, had it in their contracts for special "and" credits, to be listed at the end of the cast credits, instead of by order of seniority.

#16 yr9190

yr9190

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Eric Braeden always asking for the writers to let Victor win.

Susan Flannery being the only one aloud to slap co-stars on the show, but no one else can slap her (except KKL apparently)

#17 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,637 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

It's nothing shocking but it always kind of cracked me up how much the soap press reported on Deirdre's 1991 return stipulating that she would be get the dressing room with a bathroom/shower (which meant Drake Hogestyn was kicked out).

#18 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,637 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

People already know all about it, likely, but the grandmother clause was done when Eileen Fulton saw Barbara Berjer, who was only in her 40's, somehow aged into a great-grandmother bracket, and then killed off as a result. This was in the early 70's. This was written about at times, and then became a big controversy in 1986 when Lisa's son Tom and daughter in law Margo lost their second child. This upset many viewers, and Eileen got tons of hate mail, even though she had stopped bothering with that clause years earlier and had nothing to do with the decision to give Margo a miscarriage.

#19 ellabelle

ellabelle

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

Supposedly Dorothy Lyman (Opal) made a bunch of demands of AMC/ABC after she won an Emmy, and TPTB balked over her demands because she was asking for things that even Susan Lucci didn't ask for.

Back in the 70s or early 80s, Susan Lucci demanded the first day of school and her children's birthdays off. She was apparently the first person who'd ever asked ABC for that, and she's said they teased her about it, but they gave it to her.

#20 darraholic

darraholic

Comin to snatch your babies.

• Members
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

Was Heather Locklear's "Special Guest Star" part of her contract?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users