ABC Renews GH

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In Deadline's piece that broke the news even says one of its last paragraphs that GH will live to see its 50th Birthday (April 1, 2013) which leads me to believe that sometime in April 2013 will we learn the fate of GH

• Members

First off, I'd like to take a moment to celebrate the Revolution's demise. Your predecessor spent 43, almost 44 years on the air, you could barely get through seven months without being yanked. You will not be missed, bitches. #BitterOLTLFan

Second, I am SO happy to hear this positive news about GH. It sincerely warms my heart. Say what you want about Ron/Frank's tenure, but whatever it is they're doing, or not doing, seems to be working well enough to extend GH's life span.

Wish we would've heard more of an "official" announcement, like GH moves to 2pm starting September 10 or something to that extent (like, I know The Spew is doing well so they wouldn’t move to 1pm, but what if that GMA Afternoon show takes off?), but whatever the case is, it seems GH was granted a one year extension. Good day :)

edit- my thoughts are a bit old because i went away before i could submit my post so im just catching up with all of these new comments and errol's article. thanks for the update- its more of a bandaid then a renewal, a nod to replusion's abysmal ratings. understandable.

• Members

Okay, I get that ABC owns GH. If a show is independently produced and ABC decides to air it, there is a contract between the network and the producers to air the show for a specified period of time. That contract is either renewed or not renewed.

What does that compare with how ABC deals directly with its affiliates when it owns a show outright? Will ABC now go to its affiliates and tell them it's going to continue GH for a specific amount of time? If not "renewal," what term is used when a show's producers are told it is going to be shown for another year (or whatever the length of time)? Is that information all provided in schedule the network sends to the affiliates? How formal are those agreements and do the affiliates negotiate during that process?

• Members

How is getting rid of something they own a mistake to ABC? There are only 4 soaps left, so again, cancelling soaps is not unique to ABC. 1 out of the 2 replacements is "successful". If I own something, I have a right to do with it as I wish. I don't understand the notion that ABC is so wrong for getting rid of something where the cost/benefit was unfavorable to them. Soaps used to bring in 10s of millions of viewers each. Those times are gone as the productions costs increase. I've watched soaps for a long time, and out of the 4 left, nothing is original. We've seen all of this stuff before.

The time has come, and we have to accept it.

ANDREA

• Members

The difference is you just listed a time span of six years. This Sonny nightmare is closing in on 20. Jason is 15. These guys have been the stars of the show longer than Luke was, longer than Scorpio, longer than Steve Hardy. it's amazing that GH never grew tired of this gangster crap that was officially played out with the release of "Analyze This" When your genre has nowhere else to go except parody and comedy it is time to give it a rest.

Archived