Another World

• Members

Never heard this before. According to the IMDb, Elstad had extensive primetime credits writing for series like Eight is Enough, Quincy, Secret of Midland Heights, Fantasy Island, Fame, Dallas, One Day at a Time, Call to Glory, Facts of Life, and Falcon Crest.

I'd be interested to see her plans from Soap Opera Digest and to know why she never became headwriter of AW.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Overall I didn't mind the sin stalker storyline but it would have helped if a.)the show knew who it was when it started and b.) they didn't drag out multiple attacks on the same victims (i.e. Nancy). Wasn't Donna attacked several times too? (Poor Donna....those serial killers seemed to love going after her.tongue.png )

I forgot Tony was a suspect. I remember Chad was during the attack on Quinn. Wasn't Peter later shown standing over someone's dead body but then that was dropped like it never happened?

• Members

Agree with the above. The Cass/Lila wedding would have been okay for a sweeps "stunt" (although it was a bit too over the top for me) but having a show of 35 years go out on that note was very disappointing.

I understand that the show barely had any time to wrap so it probably wasn't their fault. It would have been nice for some returns like Jamie and Nancy maybe... at least.

If this wedding had already been written before the cancellation notice I wish they would have re-written it and made it more of a "straight" wedding than a comedy farce. They should have taken out the whole Gorilla part. Cass and Felicia could have been stranded still somehow on the way (making them late) while sharing memories of other crazy times together over the years. I would have preferred they extended Paulina going around to the wedding guests letting them talk to the camera that she was using to record memories for Cass and Lila. Would have been a great opportunity for more flashbacks with "remember that time when....".

They could have cut out Cindy all around since it didn't really fit that she'd be at Cass and Lila's wedding and I would have left off Grant's reveal at the end.

Edited by Melroser

• Members
You make some great points. I understood the reason why the included the Carolyn the gorilla caper. I just would not have included it in the last episode. It could have been done in earlier episodes. Carolyn the gorilla was one of the first capers that Felicia had with Wallingford. The gorilla was named after longtime AW writer Carolyn Culliton, and the zookeeper, Sam Radcliffe, was named after another longtime AW writer that had passed away a few years earlier.

They made a point of letting the audience know that Grant was alive and well in Tanquir. The audience would have gone crazy if it was revealed that Grant was plotting against the citizens of Bay City along with the former Queen of Tanquir, Cecile (Nancy Frangione) and Iris (Beverlee McKinsey) in a short scene. The three could have toasted to their revenge.

The best parts of the episode were when the cast said something nice about Cass and Lila, yet they were veiled good-byes to the audience, and the last scene with Carl and Rachel was great ending with Mac toasting the audience one last time.

I will say that AW only had 6 weeks from its cancellation to film its last episode. Its last episode was head and shoulders above the endings of All My Children- a character firing a gun into a crowded room and One Life to Live- with its Todd/not Todd reveal. I understand why they chose the cliffhanger ending because of their supposed continuation, but there was little closure and familiarity with this type of ending.

The worst ending to a show had to be the final ending of As the World Turns. The show was cancelled in December and had to September of the next year when it aired its final episode. If TPTB knew that Helen Wagner was sick, they should have pre-taped an ending keeping the character of Nancy alive so she could have been in the final scene of the series with a dedication to her memory at the end of the episode. They hastily produced a funeral episode for Nancy- a disgrace for a character that was on the show since its first episode. There were no flashbacks, no pictures of past cast members, and Eileen Fulton, the person who brought ATWT its major success, was treated like a day player/under 5 in that last episode. How did it end- with Dr. Bob retiring and a cheap plastic globe spinning on a desk. Given the time and notice they had to wrap the series- it was a major fail.

Edited by watson71