Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

With all of these TV sub-channels popping up- Antenna TV, MeTV, Decades, RetroTV, why is P&G just letting all their material that does exist collect dust somewhere? It makes no sense, since the audience that brought their shows their initial popularity in the 50s-early 70s, are now retired and would most likely watch the shows again. This would also allow new audiences who never saw the P&G shows when they initially ran to watch for the first time as well. When you think about it, no one under 30 has seen an episode of EON or SFT broadcast on TV, only on sources like YouTube. There is enough P&G material to fill up an afternoon lineup on one of these sub-channels- SFT, ATWT, GL, AW, TEXAS, EON, and if it was saved The Catlins. I wonder what still exists from Somerset and Lovers & Friends/For Richer, For Poorer?

• Members

I saw that UCLA has several 1971-1974 episodes in their archive listed. People have said over the years that UCLA collects lots of TV stuff, but seems to not get around doing anything with it or making it available to the public to be viewed.

I wonder what other sources could be tapped in finding surviving footage ?

• Members

I think they started saving episodes in the late 70s- to 1980. I'm sure earlier episodes exist, just not the entire catalog for a particular show. I wonder if ABC saved all the episodes of EON when it switched networks. I am sure that most episodes of Texas exist, as well as the NBC run of SFT. They probably saved AW from the beginning of the 1979 90 minutes episodes, and I would assume they started saving GL and ATWT at the same time.

• Members

I would flip if the episode from 1969 would pop up of Rachel telling Alice she is pregnant with Steve's baby at her engagement party. It would be double awesome if it's in color and not grainy b&w kinescope.

I can't believe that would be an episode they would destroy since it was such a important moment. Is it true that Paul Rauch destroyed material because of his dislike of Robin Strasser, Jackie Courtney and George Reinholt ? I know tape wiping was a common cost saving practice back then, but have heard that story about Rauch.

• Members

I would think that a copy of that episode exists somewhere. With Courtney and Reinholt having passed away, I wonder if they ever saved episodes of their work and who is in possession of them now. I also wonder if Strasser saved any copies of her episodes.

P&G, at one point, probably would have saved a copy of the engagement party episode just in case they wanted to use it as a flashback in a future episode. I'm sure at one point that P&G had to do that with all significant story points just in case they wanted to include a flashback in a future episode. For example, I'm not sure if the original episode still exists where Rachel killed Janice Frame, but there is a lengthy flashback to that episode below. Two things I always wondered about those scenes- how close was Bay City supposed to be to St. Croix? Rachel still has that wet hair in the hospital when in reality it would take several hours to get back to Bay City from St. Croix. And if Rachel stabbed Janice, how come there was no blood in the pool?!?

http://youtu.be/XueINajXDxk