Another World

• Members

Actually, Olivia Delany was never named as Olivia Matthews' mother in any of the episodes. Some fans just assumed that, because of the name "Olivia" and because Russ had briefly dated Olivia Delany after she divorced Robert. But somehow the myth got published, and now most people think it is true. But it was never mentioned in any of the scripts.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Didn't Russ leave town to be with her or find her? I think that may be another reason why.

Well, he was on the show for 7 years, so he must have been somewhat popular.

Larry was sanctimonious and he and Claire could be annoying together sometimes, but I think he had a decent heart and when they allowed him to have humor, it worked.

Olivia comes in because of a job at the hospital, not because of Robert, but he talks about her to set her up for the audience. I'm not sure if they planned for more with Robert at that point and it didn't pan out, or what. The whole thing was odd.

• Members

I was just wondering b/c my mom's friend was a long-time AW friend and I used to pick her brain of what little she can remember of the show from the 70s. I remember her being huge on Clarice/Robert and Robert/Lenore pairing too. When I asked her about Larry, she expressed that she couldn't stand the character or the Ewings at all. She didn't like any of them. She felt too many decent characters (like her fave, Cecile) was sacrificed for them.

But from my own observation, Larry just gives me vibes of today's sanctimonious leading men like: B&B's Liam, Y&R's Nick, GH's Dante, or DOOL's Daniel--the macho man that is supposed to be righteous and moral but really a chauvinistic dick.

• Members

I guess it's down to individual taste, as I never really minded Liam on B&B either. I also didn't see most of Robert's years on the show, so I can't tell you about those pairings. I think making Cecile a bitch was a brilliant idea and I don't think it was done to prop Blaine or the Ewings.

Obviously other people would not feel the same way.

• Members

Robert's 1980 return was a result of a writers' strike. There was nothing happening in Hollywood for primetime or movies so Nicolas Coster agreed to reprise the role to be working during that time.

The character of Olivia was always something of a mystery as there was never a strong story for that character.

I think Cory Ewing could have come back as teen to stay with 'grandma' Ada.Maybe Robert dies and Cory inherits a lot of money or he has been clashing with Larry and Ada has to sort him out...

• Members

43 years ago today Victoria Wyndham began playing the role of Rachel on Another World. Below are clips from her 25th anniversary show. The episode certainly showed us viewers that she could play any material that was given to her and what great chemistry she had with her co-stars. How she and Constance Ford never won a Daytime Emmy will remain one of daytime television's greatest mysteries.

• Members

As of today, I have the autographs of both ladies who brought Pat Matthews Randolph to life! A few weeks ago I heard from Beverly Penberthy, and today I received the autograph of Susan Trustman Leider, who was an original cast member. She also sent along a very sweet handwritten note. I will email the images to Carl soon so he can post them here.

• Members

If I could ask her anything, I would ask her about working on the soap opera with film stars John Beal (who, as Jim, probably had scenes with Pat) and Ann Sheridan (who, as Kathryn Corning, probably did not). I would like to know especially how they felt about working on daytime television in a part of the industry that was then down upon and also if they had advise for the young performers who co-starred with them.

• Members

I didn't know that Michael Tylo was on Another World at one point.

But Aunt Liz is a hoot. I miss busybody, messy characters on soaps like her. Her intentions are good but the way she goes about trying to convince Pat that Phillip is not a good man is too much.

I enjoy watching Cecile being in charge of Brava. I've enjoyed watching her try and bag Jamie subtly too. Susan Keith's Cecile has such a girly, childlike aura about her that is endearing. You'd never imagine that she was a minx. I guess that is what makes the transition of Cecile from Susan to Nancy a good thing. We saw her emerge from a sheep in wolf's clothing under Susan to a full-fledged sheep with Nancy in the role.

And I am sorry but this Marianne looks a bit too old to be in the role. Wasn't she supposed to be in her early/mid 20s around this time? She looks like she is older than Pat. Maybe it's the lighting & frumpy clothes but she doesn't give off the impression that she is youthful.

• Members

For the second straight day, I had a through the mail autograph success from a star from AW - Gail Brown (Clarice)!! I'll email those images to Carl along with the Susan Trustman ones.

Speaking of which, AW sure had its fair share of actresses with that name - Susan Trustman, Susan Sullivan, Susan Harney, Susan Keith...am I forgetting anyone? Of course, there was also an original character named Susan Matthews.