Another World

• Members

Sharon Gabet always did great work, even when the writing on the shows she appeared on wasn't that great. She made the most out of the material given to her.

The finales of AW and ATWT got me thinking- Christopher Goutman has the distinction of being the executive producer of two long-running P & G shows at the time of cancellation. While he was only at AW for 8 months, he stayed at ATWT for 11 years. P & G was notorious for shuffling producers on their shows. I wonder why they left Goutman at ATWT for so long? The only P & G producers that had longer tenures than Goutman were Lucy Rittenberg at GL- 20+ years and Erwin Nicholson at EON- 18 years. Goutman even tied Paul Rauch's long run at AW with 11 years.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Your guess is as good as mine...but you're right about P&G shuffling EPs to the different shows to keep them fresh. In a podcast interview I listened to with guest Susan Bedsow-Horgan (best known for her success as EP of OLTL in the mid-90s, but in the late 70s-mid 80s she worked at both GL and ATWT as a producer and a writer). At ATWT, the EP when she got there was Fred Bartholomew. At the same time, Mary-Ellis Bunim was at the helm of SFT. Then P&G decided to have them switch shows. Had AW lasted past 1999, I wonder how long Chris Goutman would have been in charge.

For the second consecutive day, I have received a through the mail autograph success from an AW alum - Laura Malone (Blaine Ewing). She long ago gave up acting, went to law school, earned her degree and is now an attorney working for Zulily in Seattle. Not only did she sign the pictures I sent but she also enclosed a lovely handwritten note. I will email the images off to Carl soon.

• Members

P&G certainly did do a lot of producer shuffling. Below is what is documented on the Internet, but I'm sure more than this went on:

1971- AW EP Lyle Hill will serve as EP of the AW spinoff, Somerset, only. CBS executive Paul Rauch is named EP of AW.

1978- AW Producer Joe Rothenberger is named EP of ATWT.

1980- Former EP of ATWT Fred Bartholomew returns to ATWT replacing Joe Rothenberger. Bartholomew served as EP of ATWT from 1971-73.

1981- The EPs of ATWT and SFT swap jobs. Fred Bartholomew becomes EP of SFT and Mary-Ellis Bunim becomes EP of ATWT.

1981- With new soap Texas in ratings trouble, Paul Rauch will serve as EP of AW only. Gail Kobe, a longtime P&G supervising producer, is named EP of Texas.

1983- After the cancellation of Texas, Gail Kobe is named EP of GL. GL EP Allen Potter is transferred back to AW. Potter was AW's original EP in 1964. He replaces Paul Rauch at AW.

1984- AW and GL producer/director Robert Calhoun replaces Mary-Ellis Bunim as EP of ATWT

1985- After the cancellation of EON, Erwin Nicholson becomes EP of SFT.

1985- GL producer/director John Whitesell replaces Erwin Nicholson as EP of SFT.

1986- SFT EP John Whitesell replaces Stephen Schenkel as EP of AW. Joe Willmore, former EP of ATWT from 1973-78, replaces Gail Kobe as EP of GL.

1987- ATWT EP Robert Calhoun replaces Joe Willmore as EP of GL.

1988-ATWT producer Michael Laison replaces John Whitesell as EP of AW.

1994-Longtime P&G supervising producer of GL and EON, John Valente, is promoted as EP of AW, where he was already working as senior producer.

1995- P&G Executive in Charge of Production Kenneth Fitts does an EP shuffle at the 3 remaining P&G soaps. Jill Farren Phelps is transferred from GL to AW. John Valente is transferred from AW to ATWT. Former AW EP Michael Labison is hired as EP of GL.

1996- P&G Executive in Charge of Production Mary Alice Dwyer-Dobbin hires Paul Rauch to replace Michael Labison as EP of Guiding Light and Felicia Minei Behr to replace John Valente as EP of ATWT. MADD doesn't replace Charlotte Savitz as EP of AW. Savitz would systematically dismantle AW over the next two years. If P&G wanted to save AW, Paul Rauch should have been hired to EP AW, not GL, at this time.

1998- ATWT director Christopher Goutman is hired to become EP at AW. He stays with the show 8 months when it is cancelled.

1999- After Another World's cancellation, EP Christopher Goutman and much of AW's staff are transferred to As the World Turns. He remains EP until the show's cancellation in 2010.

2004- Ellen Wheeler, who won an Emmy as AW's Marley/Vicky, and directed ATWT and served as a producer at GL, is named EP of Guiding Light. She remains EP until the show's cancellation in 2009.

• Members

Looking at the pictures of the AW cast got me to thinking that someone at Three's Company must have been a fan of AW. Audra Linley played Mrs. Roper, Jordan Charney played Jack's boss, Mr. Angelino, and Ann Wedgeworth played Lana Shields. :-)

• Members

If this is the same actor, and I suspect it is, Hearne has extensive Broadway credits according to his Wikipedia page- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hearn. Also, his Wikipedia page states that Hearne " was born in St. Louis, Missouri, studied philosophy at Southwestern at Memphis, now Rhodes College before he embarked on a career in the theater, training for the stage with actress turned acting coach Irene Dailey" (Liz Matthews). He was also married to Dixie Carter (Brandy, EON) during the late 70s.