Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

^ I've wondered the same thing. I remembering hearing on one of the news shows that Trump can limit the number of refugees to 50,000 as has been announced and that we are basically at that number for the year anyway. I'm not sure what that means for the Syrians who were on track to come though. Hopefully they can get in.

I think it's basically a myth the the majority of the American public has ever been welcoming to new comers.  At the same time at least we do take a large number of people overall and there are a lot of good people who work hard to help people settle in.  There are plenty of countries who won't take anyone, including Japan. Abe was quoted not that long ago saying something along the lines of 'We need to get our native population growing before we can take in other people'.  Meanwhile their economy has been floundering for years in part because they have negative population growth. Pure madness and if Bannon has his way we'll be headed down the same path.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/01/japan-rejected-99-percent-refugees-2015-160124070011926.html

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

I wish I could find the link but I was reading an article in the Wall Street Journal the other day talking about the budget plan being now tweaked by the White House. THey are changing the growth numbers increasing them to around 4% which is 1.5% higher than the Obama white house had them. Most economists and the CBO have the projections at around 2% for the next 10 years, but of course Trump doesn't believe in economists.  The Congress of course has to follow the CBO in the budget.

What's interesting about it was the fact that our labor market participation rate has been up while unemployment has been down, not hard to see why(baby boomers starting to leave the workforce) and the only reason we are able to maintain a decent participation rate is - lets wait - immigration and foreign workers. So the WSJ article basically is saying if the rate of immigration is reduced that there is no possible way those growth numbers are achievable and likely would not be even if we weren't kicking people out, deporting, and cutting back on immigration. And they can keep increasing H1B Visa's but that won't make up for it, as many younger people who come here on Visa's going to college end up staying and become permanent residents.

It's amazing the ignorance of these people. While this country may not be welcoming to many, these people help our economy thrive and grow. It's what has separated us from everyone else. There are already 3 million jobs in this country that can't be filled due to lack of skilled personal.

• Members

It's going to be interesting to see when those first set of numbers that are truly from the Trump administration (not riding the Obama administration's coattails) come in, particularly from the agricultural sector.

With these travel bans issued by executive order, it will also be interesting to see how the healthcare field (which uses an enormous amount of immigrant labor, some of the foreign doctors that many practices had hoped would fill vacant family doctor/GP positions have already been affected) will be impacted.

Hold onto your hats.