Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't have any trouble with people cracking jokes. I mean damn, look at that inauguration lineup and tell me that isn't comedy gold. If my intel is solid (my company's DC office is up to its armpits in this circus) we might get a few things to smile about. It'll be a sad, dark day so its more important than ever we take our giggles where we can.

I'm going to the movies. I plan to basically move into one of my local recliner theatres for the day. One serves alcohol and full meals brought to your seat. The other, which has a better seat layout offers gelato, fresh baked cookies and a tea bar. (I'm a tea drinker.) Either way, I'm not going to lay one eye on the fuckery unless I hear breaking news that the event was struck by lightning.

Edited by marceline

• Members

For all the back-patting from some in the media about how they are more intelligent than ever in reporting, scrutiny, etc. the NYT always seems happy to prove them wrong.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2017/01/new-york-times-stands-by-rick-perry-story-despite-controversy-233855

He also saw his uncle Ted implode in large part because Ted wasn't suited to the expectations on his shoulders. 

There's a history of Kennedys who try to make the big leap and are proven unsuited or incompetent in one way or another. The family mostly had one or two naturally talented politicians and a lot of people who were assumed to be the same because they shared the same DNA. Something always seemed a bit sad and lost about JFK Jr like he was trying to find an identity that would never come, but I was glad he stuck to his guns about politics. I'd like to think he would have even if he'd lived. 

With that said, it's sobering to realize the only Kennedy who will have any influence on policy is a hardcore anti-vaxxer. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

If only those who had voted for him were as lucky.

Rule number one, FOB: there's no such thing as a "day off" for the President of the United States.  Not even when you're ostensibly on vacation.  You take a day off, and people could die.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I saw that.  What happened to "getting to work on a Day One"?!?!  haha Another promise he broke.

CBS is saying that beginning at 8AM tomorrow morning, they are covering the inauguration ALL DAY 

Please register in order to view this content

. WTF is that?  Did that happen for Prez O?

• Members

That's the sad part. The people that voted for him and are struggling to stay afloat could never get a job one day and decide when they wanna work it. It boggles my mind how these people don't see he's selling him a bag of sh-t. I guess they'll have to sit back and see who he truly is over the next 4 years. 

I've said that it is gonna take something catastrophic for his dumb voters to wake up and see he was never presidential. 

They all are starting off the day early covering him. I hope people protest his ass and don't watch. I know I am not. There's a familial ban in the house that no TV to is to be turned on a news station tomorrow. He won't be getting any ratings up in here!

• Members

In the past, I have read that JFK Jr. seriously considered an acting career while attending Brown University, where he had performed in campus productions.  IDK whether he was any GOOD at it, although close friends and biographers alike say he was promising.  (And of course, there was also the name and the sex appeal, which often trumps (sorry) genuine talent in Hollywood.)  But I could understand the lure of "disappearing" into roles that took attention away momentarily from the family name and good looks, as well as that of carving out one's own niche in a profession entirely different from his father's.

However, Jackie, to whom he was extremely close, reportedly put her foot down -- people speculate it was due to JFK's infamous relationship with Marilyn Monroe -- and that was that.  Which might have been unfortunate, in retrospect.  

He dabbled, for lack of a better word, in law (after flunking the bar I don't know how many times -- perhaps a sign that he was not quite cut out for the legal profession?); and of course, there was George magazine, which sought to bring together his family's passions for politics and publishing.  But, you know, I never felt as if he was PASSIONATE about those pursuits...and frankly, I don't think he would have been passionate about running for office either.  I mean, he would have done it eventually, because the pressure on him was just too great.  However, people would have accused him of showing no enthusiasm for the job and running solely because he was a Kennedy and JFK's son and was expected to (and they wouldn't have been wrong).

IMO, if JFK Jr. had been allowed to pursue acting, or even if he had had the courage to do so w/o Jackie's blessing, I feel like there might have been a sense of purpose that his life otherwise lacked.