Y&R: Victor Newman Has

• Members

This is from TV Guide's site.....

Young and Restless Diagnosis: Victor Newman Has Epilepsy

Recently on The Young and the Restless, Genoa City billionaire Victor Newman (Eric Braeden) fought off a carjacker by delivering several head butts to the thug's noggin. Ouch!

Victor's family, friends and foes have since noticed odd changes in his behavior. His ruthless nature has faded away as he let his kids run Newman Enterprises and sold control of the NVP day spas to his hated archrival, Jack! Suddenly Victor's new puppy, Zapato, his grandkids, dance lessons and arts 'n crafts are the focus of his attention. What's up?

On July 17, Victor will be diagnosed with epilepsy. It will be revealed that his blackouts and hallucinations are actually temporal lobe seizures. So this supernice, "new and improved" Victor is actually suffering from an electrical disturbance in his brain due to an undiagnosed head injury.

Braeden will appear in CBS public service announcements about epilepsy on July 17 and 18.

"CBS is proud to be able to use this forum to raise awareness about epilepsy, and as the story unfolds, viewers will have the opportunity to not only see how Victor himself deals with his diagnosis, but how his family reacts as well," CBS Daytime chief Barbara Bloom said in a statement. "We are fortunate to have an actor of Eric Braeden's caliber to play out these events, and we hope our audience will find them remarkable."

"For many people with epilepsy the biggest problem is not the disorder itself," added Eric Hargis, president of the Epilepsy Foundation, "but society's attitude toward people with the condition. The facts are, however, that most people with epilepsy can lead successful, seizure-free lives with appropriate treatment and medication. We're extremely pleased with CBS's decision to partner with us to help bring epilepsy out of the shadows by associating the condition with one of the network's most renowned programs and famed actors."

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG! This is weird and really hits home because I just got tested for epilepsy in the fall after I had a seizure. And my best friend had a seizure while driving in high school and had to have brain surgery! So weird. I love Y&R!!! :wub:

I am a little confused how a blow to the head could cause epilepsy. Unless the blow to the head was a red herring, and this would have happened anyway!

Is this the first time a soap has done an epilepsy story?

• Members

I think this is something that Eric will play out very well....

On one aspect, we'll see his family rallying around him, full of concern.

Then on the other side, you'll have Jack...most likely sitting at his desk with a smug look on his face at learning what Victor's true condition is...

• Members

I wonder will this make Victor retire from the business world? Because if he does and does go into private life, he will remember that Jack stole those shares from him when he was ill. And he will make Jack pay. I don't even think Ashley will be in his corner for that when that comes out.

• Members

Wow, this story will hit home for me. I have epilepsy and am very open about it. It's weird when people first ind out about it and how they treat you. I get treated with kid gloves a lot, it will be interesting how Y&R plays this out with Victor. My seizures are similar to the these, but I didn't have a total personality change.

It is possible to get seizures from a blow to the head. I had three blows to the head in the same place and have scar tissue in my brain making it impossible for the electrical charges to go through there. My meds make it happen though. I have been seizure free for a long time, talking years here. I was diagnosed in my teens so it is possible that someone later in life can be diagnosed.

I can't wait for this story.

Archived