June 19-23, 2006

Toups

• Members

And in relation to that AMC (and I agree very strongly with your argument that going after a demo is fine but why not maintain and grow the one you've already to which you appeal naturally and have their attention). CBS knows this. Yes demos are in important but if your HHs are high enough, the demo will come around. Plus your demo (especially when it goes to age 49) is growing older by the day and the size of the middle-aged population and thusly potential viewers is growing enoromously.

Another example of why nets shouldn't reject outright, stories, characters or actors outright due to age in the (what I feel) is the mistaken middle-aged or older won't appeal to a younger demo?

Golden. Girls. It is a HUGE moneymaker for Lifetime and has been for years. The reason is stays on is younger women pick up the show and love it. I recognize that we're talking sitcom versus soap, but I think it's a combination of of quality writing, freshness in stories and storytelling, the talent and physical appeal of the actors.

It's just no one bothers to try in the fantastical and ever elusive 18-49s and 18-34s that ABCD, NBC, especially are cutting off their noses to spite their face.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absolutely! GG is one of the most popular shows at my school and everyone knows everything about the show. Part of its charm is the fact that the women ARE older, and everyone loves the fact that these older women are doing these that you wouldn't expect them to do. It really opens your eyes and tells you that older people are driven by the exact same things that older people are driven by.

• Members

The Golden Girls is my absolute favorite TV show. I've seen every episode...I can basically quote scenes from episodes when I watch them. I never look at the characters are being old ladies at all either, and when the show brings up that they are older, it just makes things a lot funnier. And soooooooooooo many of the girls at my school watch the show too. It proves the point that young women are willing to watch older women have relationships and talk about sex. GG is definitely the most successful show on Lifetime: they show it at 9AM, 11AM, 6PM, and one episode at 1AM. That's more than the other sitcoms, which usually only get 2 hours each day. Soaps should take note. Personally, I love watching the older cast on ATWT. They're the best part of the show, to me. ATWT could totally do a GG-type storyline w/ its older cast.

Speaking of bad demos, B&B is the next ATWT. It's only .2 ahead of GL in the coveted women 18-49 demo, it's #2 for women 50+, and #2 for men 18+.

Archived