TVGuide.com interview with Dena Higley...

• Members

Link: http://www.tvguide.com/soaps/qa/

Is There Really Only One Life to Live?

by Daniel R. Coleridge

If you read that headline, you might think we've gone all Shirley MacLaine on you. Not so! We're just talking about this week's execution of death-row prisoner Todd Manning (Trevor St. John) on One Life to Live. Since Todd has been falsely convicted of murder and the character is so popular, it's tough to believe Todd will really die. After all, many soap characters have been in similar predicaments and they usually get a last-minute reprieve. Here, TVGuide.com grills One Life head writer Dena Higley to see just what she's got up her sudsy sleeve.

TVGuide.com: So Todd's really going to be executed?

Dena Higley: Yes, he's going to the lethal-injection chamber. [Chuckles] It sounded so much better when it was the gas chamber. It's so unwieldy to say lethal-injection chamber. The gas chamber was so much cooler.

TVGuide.com: Not for the condemned prisoners who had to go inside it!

Higley: Well, no. I don't think it matters in the end....

TVGuide.com: You know we're all waiting for a face-to-face confrontation between Todd and the not-so-dead Margaret (Tari Signor).

Higley: But Todd gets injected and he doesn't have that face to face moment with Margaret before the injection. John's (Michael Easton) in a race against time to prove Todd's innocent and he doesn't make it!

TVGuide.com: But as we know with OLTL, there's always another twist when you think it's all over.

Higley: Oh, yes. Oh, yes.

TVGuide.com: Let me ask: Is Trevor St. John continuing to be a contract player on the cast?

Higley: Umm... I never comment on contracts. Let's put it that way.

TVGuide.com: OK, forget the legalese. Will our Trevor still be on the show after the execution happens?

Higley: [Teasing] Even if I said yes, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be just in flashback. I will say yes, but with the caveat that there's a lot of different ways to use somebody and have them on the canvas. It's yet to be seen! I think everybody will like it. It will be good.

TVGuide.com: No doubt! My educated guess? There are so many capable doctors on OLTL. Just because Todd's injected with lethal poison and his heart stops doesn't necessarily mean the fat lady has sung.

Higley: Exactly. Well, you know, I'm very proud of our hospital because they actually save lives there, unlike other shows where you wouldn't want to be a patient at their hospitals! [Laughs] I won't be specific, but yeah, we have good doctors on One Life to Live.

TVGuide.com: Enough said. So we've seen that Margaret's alive, but where is her and Todd's baby?

Higley: We're sort of going to set that [story point] aside for awhile and then we'll get back to it. But yes, that baby is absolutely floating out there somewhere.

TVGuide.com: Don't tell me you're giving the baby to Kelly and Kevin! They already lost one black-market baby that wasn't theirs.

Higley: Oh my gosh! No, no, we're not doing that.

TVGuide.com: Hmm...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She keeps getting crazier and crazier, IMO.

I actually watched OLTL tonight and although the Margaret reveal was good (Erika Slezak overacted a bit but was the highlight) the show is a total joke. None of the characters have an ounce of personality and I don't recognize any of them. I felt no investment when Kevin was mourning Duke. Probably because Duke's only been in town for about 2/3 years and was barely mentioned beforehand.

JMO.

• Members

I had a feeling some of this story was going to drag out. Notice she said the baby thing was going to put to the side and revisited later. Just like Paige's son. Look how long that reveal has been coming. Probably this time next year we'll be wondering where Margaret's baby is.

Archived