Kinda OT: Soaps/Your Relationships

King

• Members

So, I thought this would be a funny topic and seeing as though I might be in this situation in a little bit. At what point in a new relationship, do you tell the other person you're seeing that you're quasi-obsessed with the dreaded and generally-condemned soap operas? And what are their reactions?

I just thought this could be a very humorous topic! :lol: What was the situation like when you told your significant others and how were their reactions?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haha - I've always had this in my mind too - but I ended up telling my ex shortly after we got together because pretty much I didn't want to lie or hide the fact that at least an hour of my day is spent watching TV in the afternoon or from a tape at night. I was a little worried, but actually got him hooked on it because he would be around, and I'm pretty sure he still watches to this day! haha

But from now on, I wouldn't keep it hidden - If it comes up then I'm ok with just telling them.

• Members

I usually tell the guys I date fairly quickly and see what their reaction is. I try to make a joke out of it too. I'm like "Yeah, I have an OGT (Obviously Gay Trait). I watch soaps. As The World Turns and, of course, the Gays of Our Lives." If they have a sense of humor, they usually shoot back with "Me too! Only I watch The Hung and the Restless." :lol:

• Members

I live in France and soaps are very condemned! I have never had relationships but with my friends, only the closest know how much I love soaps. With this and my adoration for Madonna, I would fear people might learn I'm gay...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

When i was single I used to use my knowledge of soaps as an "in" and usually hook up with or start a relationship thereafter.

I find that the problem isn't that I liked soaps but that she and I liked different soaps. That would cause friction.

• Members

Well, my parents are pretty much the only people who are in the dark about my soap-loving habits. It's funny, because it's partly the fault of them and their parents, yet if I dare turn on ATWT in front of my mother, she tells me that I'm going to lead a miserable life. Yet we watched GL together for months in 2003!

The guy that I've been pining after for the last nine months knows all about it. As a matter of fact, he thinks it is kinda cute (he doesn't say he thinks it is, but I know he does!) when I say something like "And to top it all off, my tape fucked up on As the World Turns" or "Yesterday was good. As the World Turns was good, so yesterday was good."

I'm pretty much known for my soap-loving around school actually. I used to be quiet about it, but what's the point? I like arguing my point, and when I get into how soaps aren't just for lonely housewives anymore...well I think you'll be lucky to get me to shut up!

• Members

Fun topic. Well, I am married and have been for 20 years, but I never watched a daytime soap except an occasional episode in all that time until Aug. 2004. When I started back watching Days, he tolerated it mildly. Then he started remarking about me getting senile and he's worried about my intelligence (and I see him look at Chloe LOL or Marlena) and one day his best friend dropped in while Days was on and his friend promptly sat down to watch, saying, "Oh, boy I haven't seen Marlena is a very long time...." that was so funny. It's just routine now. I watch and he goes to take a nap. He'll even make plans around getting me home in time for the soap, or waiting until it's over.

Archived