GH: July 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

The problem with the story, in my opinion, isn't Natalia's anti-gay sentiments. That is relevant to talk about even today, I agree. My issue is that the whistleblower is the villain, not the person who did or said the thing, in the eyes of some people in Port Charles.

Ava, like Nina before her, is bad because she reveals Natalia's bigotry, and now people want to take her daughter away from her? I get it; Ava isn't a nice person, and she has done other things that might warrant her losing custody of her child, but no one is going to tell me what she did in this situation was any worse than anything Sonny has done in 30 years. Alexis could have killed someone anytime she was drunk had she been behind the wheel of a car, but she never lost her kids. Sonny recently beat up his daughter's boyfriend and paid no price for it. But he's the better parent for Avery?

I swear, these soaps need some reality in their stories. Be a soap, fine. But tell it like it makes some sense. I'm tired of being played for a fool by the writers of EVERY soap currently on air.

• Webmaster

Thanks for the tidbit. However, I must point out that when Giovanni was first announced to have joined the cast by Deadline, they reported his last name as Cerullo. Now, in the credits, he was given a different name (Palmieri), so I wonder if the writers decided to change it at the last minute but forgot to let the show's publicist know. Either way, I hope they have a plan for this character. Thus far, I'm pretty bored.

• Members

It's been a while, but IIRC Brad did this with Michael early on.

Soaps don't care about reality or day-to-day or buildup now because they think viewers are fools and it's easier for them to just stall and stall between the latest shock value moment.

Feels like they are just waiting until Taby leaves so they can say it was her own choice. She doesn't even seem to spend time with her own mother now. 

• Members

It's because she isn't Carly / Sonny directly, and let's be real. The writer(s) are going to prop those two no matter what, and it's disgusting to see. If the roles were reversed and Carly leaked the tape, no one would be threatening to take Donna from her. Not even Sonny. It's disgusting, and it's a tired form of story-telling. Sonny has been active in the mob scene for years (even recently), and Ava has been out of it (aside from living with Sonny) and Carly ran the organization, and yet Ava is still not what's best for Avery... because she leaked a conversation to a tabloid and lives in a hotel?! Gimme a fücking break.

This is why a lot of us are enjoying international soaps, Errol. They don't play their audiences as dumb like American soaps.

Giovanni Mazza is a decent actor. Nothing special. And Gio (character) is giving a Cameron-Spencer hybrid replacement. And that's not what any kind of character should be giving in 2024.

• Members

I like Gio. But as I said before, what is 'there' of the character? He's a nice boy who plays pretty music. Unless you're gonna go into a hot and heavy summer story with Trina rediscovering her passion with this innocent young man (good luck with the social media outcry watching a Black woman seduce a sweet white kid), there's not many layers yet. He seems to have little flaw. I wouldn't dump him or anything, but there needs to be a hook found. Maybe perfect musician Gio has a drug or self-harm habit related to his obsessive skills, or his imposter syndrome, etc.

As for Ava, if this show wanted to get really real they'd finally reveal what I've suspected since before Avery was born: That she is Morgan's, and that Carly has known for her entire life. She kept it from everyone because she knew Morgan was not ready to raise a child and wanted him kept away from Ava Jerome's influence. Then I'd kill the kid, and then the truth would come out.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The Sonny/Carly can do no wrong writing is exactly why I stopped watching the show for almost a decade I believe. I never understood how they were able to take Avery away from Ava in the first place all those years ago and now it makes even less sense.

This show will never be what it could be because it doesn’t matter who the writers are, except for that very brief period when RC really sidelined Sonny, the objective will always be to prop Sonny at the expense of other stronger characters and quite frankly actors.