• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think he definitely has his taste, and I think he excels at "playing the game". I'm just of the opinion that he is playing a game unlike the game we want him to play!!! I believe he is checking off boxes, yes, like budget, sets, new sets, best looking sets, wins sweeps some of the time, cast of thousands, wins lots of Emmys, and we are saying, okay, but, what about stakes, heart, pay-off, balance, hitting all the feels, etc. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Don't forget the riveting breastfeeding story with Olivia, etc. whipping 'em out in court. Or the endless Shiloh/Dawn of Day saga. Or Franco's molestation drama. Or Oscar and Kim.

Edited by Vee

• Members

GH has the advantage of being a network owned soap and ABC doesn’t have to pay a licensing fee for it. That could explain why the show has better diversity in terms of sets vs. the other soaps despite its atrocious ratings. 

But, again, there’s a lot more to being an EP than just budget management and how many sets are in use. FV produces a factory-style show that lacks passion and any energy. I can’t explain what the tone has been under his decade + watch, because it’s lacked an identity for all of this time. His poor taste in actors, keeping a bloated cast to the detriment of the overall show, and the fact that every writing regime since he’s produced the show has failed is on him. 

• Members

I think GH has been creatively bad for almost ten years  I know @Vee said 2016, but I'd argue 2014 really.  The thing is GH wins just enough awards, gets just enough praise, operates under budget, and the cast likes Frank.  I don't think ABC/Disney/whoever sees a problem.  GH does just barely enough to keep running the same way.  Unless someone that truly cares about the show and has power to change it is watching everyday I feel like the audience is stuck in this holding pattern.   That's why I am personally stepping away for a bit.  The shows quality hasn't steeply declined, I just need @Taoboito send me a smoke signal when GH finally decides to bring Vanessa back.  Otherwise, I am uninterested lol.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Oh, let me be extremely clear: It was absolutely a hot mess in the Ron years lol. But I think there was still passion in his work and in what they were (often poorly) trying to do, still some spark. A good portion of 2012-2015 is terrible, but there was also a fair amount of good or at least entertaining amidst the psychotic (well, not in '15).  I haven't felt there's any passion since '16 but for very brief intervals here and there (like the recent brief HW change).

Either way, I will resume my regularly scheduled non-programming of GH and cease watching soon enough. The brief Mulcahey regime is the most I've watched regularly in 8 years.

Edited by Vee

• Members

That I can agree with.  Ron had some idiotic ideas, but you felt that he cared.  I still see that in him on Days even if that is a hot mess as well.  I at least feel like Ron is inspired by some characters even if those characters are named Leo lol.

I never really stopped watching GH before.  I was spotty in the mid 2000's until Brenda's return and I have watched regularly since.  I just don't know why.  Mostly habit.  There are some stories I sort of like, but I mostly feel like I just wasted 36 minutes of my life when I watch GH these days.  I would never want GH canceled or to cease to exist, but I am just completely uninterested and don't see that changing.  I'll probably still binge episodes if I am bored on a weekend or something.

• Members

This was me shortly after the show botched keeping Vanessa in 2002. With both Brenda and Laura gone, because of the network and JFP, I was just done. I have dabbled on and off since, but never every day like I have from Bobbie’s funeral through today. It’s back to dipping in and out for me unless I see something going on that might make me watch regularly again.

As I am still watching the show, I thought Gio was cute. Liz is really mean mugging in her scenes lately, even at the funeral. Becky just looks pissed to me. And everyone around here seems to like nice Tracy. But I miss the edge. There can be a balance between this version and the one we have had since her 2000’s return. Go back any further and she is back to being more villain at her core.

• Members

HW: Elizabeth Korte & Patrick Mulcahey

BDW: Nigel Campbell (New BDW Hire)

SW: Cathy LePard

DIR: Tina Keller

Jake sneaking into the bar for a beer with pals, Dale and Gordo. Sees Finn.

Maybe Dale & Gordo will be seen from time to time. 

• Members

I have definitely paused or dipped out post-Vanessa returns.  It sounds so petty but that's just how I am I guess lol.  I have always watched it if I was home and it was on, but I rarely sought it out.  

Since the pandemic, I have made the effort to catch it on Hulu and stay on top of what's going on, but I don't even know why anymore.  I don't really enjoy it and in fact I enjoy posting on this message board much more than the actual show.  The characters I like are used poorly or completely over exposed and played out (looking at Jason/Sonny) and there isn't the next generation 'star' that I am invested in.   I hope a change will come because I truly don't think the show is hopeless or a lost cause.  

• Members
Posted (edited)

Neither do I. I think the recent (for me, anyway) structural improvement at the day to day level proves that, which makes this situation all the more depressing and frustrating for me. The pieces are there, what is lacking is the proper will and power BTS.

Even stuff like Jake and his friends stumbling upon Finn boozing is classic soap building block material this show would have more easily pawned off on a microchip full of Drew's missing memories or Peter August a couple years ago.

That's where I'm at. I came back for Jackie and stayed through to now.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

I don’t care what writer, actors, or set designers they hire, nothing will change as long as FV is there and given the authority by ABC to call the shots. It’s just going to continue to be more of the same - which hasn’t worked in a damn decade! 

FV is the one consistent thing you can point to for why this show has sucked for the better part of the past decade. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members
Posted (edited)

I don't think I am articulating what I want to say correctly but you are.  The pieces are there to make a good show.  There is a lot of dead weight and uselessness, but it's not the silliness of Days practically filming all scenes in a cardboard box.  My expectation is low for Days, but GH has always been classier and more intelligent.  I just know GH could be so much better fairly easily.

Edited by carolineg