BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Members

As I stated previously, hopefully some sort of staggered taping schedule so cast and crew won't be thrown in at the deep end having to tape a show a day.

With all the budget restrictions now in place I wonder what the situation will be. Will there be location filming, extras and U/5's and a variety of sets?

If so, the other CBS soaps will look even more poverty stricken.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Does anyone know for sure what the financing model for “The Gates” will be? I am sincerely asking because I wonder if the financing will be the same or similar to the traditional network soap opera model or will it be something similar to an international media model? Or perhaps some hybrid form? I would be interested in looking at the financing numbers, which would give me a clearer idea of what the producers are working with which would most likely determine the overall look of the show.

In terms of promotion, I hope MVJ will hew more closely something like how Shonda Rhimes has promoted built a loyal following for her series- from Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal to Bridgerton.
The only promotion tactic from traditional daytime soaps that I would use is the ruthless tactic that Bell Productions and CBS employed when promoting the Bold and the Beautiful before its debut by relentlessly airing teasers during the shows in their daytime lineup, including Capitol, the show getting the boot, paving the way for B&B’s debut.

Oops, how could I forget How To Get Away With Murder?!

I think Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder had a very large cultural imprint with viewers as does Bridgerton now.

• Members

Perfect opportunity. The majority of viewers would be completely in the dark. 

Surely a teaser just stating something like 'The Gates is coming to CBS daytime Jan 25. Be there from the beginning...'

Raises awareness and interest.

• Members

Yeah, those sorts of teasers are done all the time. At an old job, we used to make them for San Diego Comic Con to announce long-lead future premieres still in early development (especially with splashy creative talents and IP) and run those on the network. Doesn’t need to be more than a few seconds. I feel like CBS is thinking too small with this. Obviously, they see the Daytime Emmys as filler, but a lot of the core audience watches that (who else watches the Daytime Emmys?). This is something to be excited about (one would hope).

• Members

Not comparable really but I was just reading an article where Kia in Australia is promoting a new model coming in Jan 25 to coincide with the Australian Open Tennis (which they sponsor)

The article showed the teaser -a quick 15 second grab with various 'characters' making the announcement.

So all you need is someone in the target audience onscreen saying 'The Gates is coming to CBS daytime in January -it'll be worth the wait'

• Members

Came across this article detailing a new daily soap that premiered in Spain earlier this year.

It's a period piece, examining current issues through a vintage lens. Includes regular location work.

Interesting in light of the upcoming debut of The Gates. If Spain can successfully produce something of this scope, surely CBS could look at this and other  models as inspiration

https://dramaquarterly.com/sweet-dreams/

Some highlights

Why was Antena 3 interested in launching a new soap?
Even with the rise of streaming platforms bringing so much choice to viewers, daily drama continues to work well on linear TV. This kind of programme builds audience loyalty and guarantees a high-performing slot for the broadcasting channel. This trend has influenced all of Spain’s main television stations to produce a series with daily episodes, to safeguard their audiences.

Why might a new soap still be of interest in the modern age of streaming television?
The way people watch TV has changed: whereas families used to gather in the living room once a week to watch an episode of their favourite series, now it is more about the individual viewer deciding how, when and where they watch something. This has encouraged binge-watching, where instead of leisurely watching a series across the span of a month, viewers are able to finish an entire season in a single afternoon. The broadcasting of a series showing daily episodes guarantees there will always be something new to watch – which is why this format fits in well with the new way of watching TV.

How do you balance studio scenes with those filmed on location?
The series is mainly recorded at our film studios in Madrid and in two fixed locations in Toledo and El Escorial. Several scenes are filmed in the De la Reina household and factory where, depending on the storyline and shooting schedule, we combine studio sets, exterior locations in Toledo and filming on the streets of Madrid and Toledo.