BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Personally, I think I am being pretty clear-eyed in my assessments. I don’t do hype for other people’s projects. I am expressing my hope that MVJ will not follow the failing template that today’s network soaps are currently on the road to.

Personally, at this stage when a project hasn’t been launched, I find predictions for failure to be distasteful. 

• Members

Unless the show opens with a bunch of black folks sitting around with kinky afros eating fried chicken and watermelon while they "play the dozens" with each other, I don't think I'll be terribly disappointed in the first episode to the point of never tuning in again.

• Members

I'm definitively not counting on greatness from the get-go since soaps usually take a bit to land properly. I'm just going to be happy if it's not a complete mess, lol.

• Members

I think you are right. From what I've observed on the boards... This percentage sadly feels right.

It will be hilarious to see the reactions, though. And I will especially love the people who didn't watch, but read about it or heard from someone and they have an opinion. Gold.

• Members

I think it's a cute coincidence that from the time The Gates was first announced to when it'll debut is roughly the same time frame of a baby's birth (9-10 months). Someone with more expertise of the gestational period could probably make a thoughtful comparison when all is said and done. What I do know is (ignoring I'm an atheist), since the show will be on CBS it's a comfort that wherever Aretha Franklin is, she'll be watching!

• Members

Or my favorite, people who get angry because producers and writers didn't read their minds (or their social media posts), which must indicate that they hate the fans.

All that being said, I cannot wait to see the first episode.  I remember as a kid watching the first episode of How to Survive a Marriage, up through the premiere of Santa Barbara, and The City.  Each time it was such a thrill to experience being there at the very beginning.  Even when it was disappointing, like watching episode one of Texas, it was still exciting and uniquely different from watching a primetime pilot.

I wonder, with the loss of interest in linear cable, if it will seem like as much of a big deal for me to watch it on Paramount +?  For example, will it be reviewed both by traditional media and sites like Vulture?  I know from reading about it here, that soap stories get a lot of traction online.  But, I am curious to see how wide the coverage of the first episode will be on various platforms. 

• Members

Is this something you are anticipating on here or on social media in general? As said above, this place likely doesn't have enough people now for such heavy reactions. This isn't 2010.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Again, exactly what segment of SON's not particularly massive poster base are you anticipating this from? 2 posters? 3? I realize you regularly get off on posturing as a disapproving schoolteacher surrounded by a forum full of uncouth children, but this provocation has very little basis in reality.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I don't anticipate a primetime premiere, but it would be great if the first episode gets replayed on a Friday or Saturday night when CBS's programming is sparse.   Also, having interacted with you for years, I trust that you don't find my reply pedantic, because the pathology that causes people to infer personalized put-downs feels inescapable.

• Members

Why would I not again after the first episode?

- Only if it was not shot like a daytime soap. I don't want a daily series, I want a soap opera. That's the reason I can't stand international soaps, they don't look soapy. 

Even if it ends up being something like Ambitions or new Dynasty, I will try to give the show a chance. But I really need a real soap lol.

• Members

See, this is why it's so important for MVJ and her team to have all of their ducks in a row. RIGHT NOW!!!! Debuting this show on a weak note is not what they want, I promise you. The results will show, instantly.