You just never know who you'll wait on

Matt

• Members

Of all the people you'd expect to wait on in Frankfort, KY, I would never have guessed that I'd wait on William Shatner tonight (he owns a horse farm in a neighboring county). I'd heard that he was known to be difficult, but I found him to be very pleasant and polite. However, I did feel rather sorry for him because they were dining on the patio (him, his wife, and their KY neighbors) and people simply would not leave the man alone to have dinner in peace. People constantly were coming over to speak to him (not even restaurant guests, simply passers by on the street). When approached with tact and courteousy, he was very nice and gracious, but he responded to every "may I take a picture" or "may I have an autograph" with a curt "no you may not. I'm having dinner." Can't blame the man in the least. At the end of the meal, everyone in the group (including Mr. Shatner) commented on my excellent service and professional manner. It was a highlight of my evening. Just thought I'd share.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is neat Matt. I worked as a server in a local restaurant for several years during my high school days. Of course a small town in Tennessee was the last place you would ever expect to have celebrities, but one year the local Lion's Club did have Bobby Goldsboro for their Horse Show Grand Marshall and he stopped in at our restaurant that night. He was very gracious too. In fact he gave me his tie that night and I still have it. He left a pretty generous tip too.

Another year a local guy (with lots of money) sponsored a country music concert on his property and the big stars of the time were on the agenda. They all flew in at the small airport near the restaurant I worked at. We were really hoping some would stop there to eat but only one of them did. She was a duet singer with Jim Ed Brown back in the 80's. Her name was Helen Cornelius and she and Jim Ed Brown were on the concert. She ate breakfast at the restaurant that morning and I got to serve her. She was very sweet. She is a singer in Branson, Missouri I think now.

Of course none of these would near equal meeting William Shatner. He is one of my all time faves.

• Members

The title of this thread is one of the reasons I woudln't mind being a waiter someday. I mean I've heard of those people getting a lot of money sometimes for just doing casual conversation. You really never know when you're going to brighten someone's day and you could just get paid a lot to do it (depending on the tip they leave). I'm not saying you waiters get truckloads full of money but hey you never know what a customer could leave you, right??

Thanks for sharing, Matt.

• Members

That's awesome Matt, hope you got tipped well! I love celebrity encounter stories.

I was a server for about 3 years ago and my restraunt was right next to a comedy club and many of the local comedians would come over for dinner after their show. I once served Larry the Cable Guy (before he was famous nationally, but he was known pretty well known around where I live since he is orginally from around here.) he was very nice.

• Members

I'll tell you about 4 months or so ago, right after the holidays, Michael Damian came into the Chili's I work at in Orlando with his wife & in-laws. I kept looking at him as I passed by, trying to figure out for sure if it was him. Unfortunately, nobody I was working with that day had any idea who I was talking about, even after I sang "Rock On" to them in the back. He definitely noticed that I was giving him a once over anytime I passed. FINALLY, I was able to hear him speak & then I knew for sure- nobody has that soft spoken sweetness in their voice like Damian. I finally introduced myself as an aspiring actor & he introduced me to his wife & in-laws, one of whom is the actor who played the sheriff in the 'Dukes of Hazzard' TV series. It was pretty embarassing that I didn't recognize him (how washed up he must have felt). I told Damian how I'd hoped to see him in Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in Chicago years ago, but Donny Osmond had just taken over the role. I also asked a bit about Y&R (I didn't want to say much, since Lauralee is his ex & his wife was there) and he said there was no story there. I told him that I thought they wrote Danny poorly this last time around and that he shouldn't ever go back- he said that he definitely would not be doing so. Currently, he owns a production company with his wife, where they produce short films & independant features. At the time, they were getting ready to shoot something ( a comedy I believe) that was supposed to come out 'late spring'. So I guess be on the lookout. Oh, and for those curious as to how he looked, his face had certainly aged some but he was still cute. The body wasn't like it was in his prime & frankly he was kinda relaxed and messy looking- khakis, wrinkled type shirt, and sandals. But he was very kind & genuine, though he did mention that he heard me singing "Rock On" in the back since he got there ( I also put my foot in my mouth when I told him that nobody I worked with knew who the hell he was) :rolleyes:B)

• Members

When I worked at McDonalds by the Nashville airport, 2 celebs came in(not huge celebs), but Eddie George(NFL player) was as arrogant as anyone I have met, while I forget his name one of the black guys on Mad TV also came in. I cant believe I forgot his name! He was very quiet in person and ordered the #3, I do remember that much. No one else knew who he was, so I was like I enjoy you on Mad TV and he very nicely just said thanks man and off he went.

Archived