DAYS: February 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

In Salem it is still Valentine's Day & what a time they are having in Salem. About this scab-written show, it is now so much like the show of DAYS gone by! Don't you think & feel that? So, what is now mysterious? The cop shop has a mole. It could be one guy or one gal. We do not know. And we had a false text message sent. It showed up as if it were from Ava but she didn't send it. And, Xander got that mysterious call, with a voice distorter being used & showing as from UNKNOWN. It was asking him to eliminate someone, also unknown who. And, last night after the fire Chad also got a call from UNKNOWN, using a voice distorter & telling him that maybe he would listen the next time. We feel sure that Xander was neither of the evildoers. And, we do think that there were two. Both seemed male. Even with the full masks it looked like a guy. Jada says that this gun was found at Xander's apartment & the ballistics match up with Harris's bullet remains. Oh, yeah, Harris is still in very serious condition because of internal injuries.

I haven't thought much about them. But EJ has his hands full because of Nicole & Holly & their baby. Johnny's been thinking about whether there is a curse that will harm Chanel. And, Stefan is just all over the place. Plus, nothing has gone right for Chad since Abby was murdered in the D mansion. Now he thinks it was arson at Horton House & that someone is trying to kill someone, maybe him. 

I feel 2 ways about Kristen. First, I was so pleased that Brady started naming some of the terrible things she's done & even included that she raped Eric. These writers are saying things that the fans say! Then it was perfect. Rachel reacting to them fighting again. Showing the effect of toxicity on the children of divorce. But on the other hand, when she is being nice & looks so good, Kristen is so appealing. 

Rachel is smart & clever. I doubt she acts like an evil spawn in class. 

I agree about Sarah. But, oops, too late for them to have a happy time. The next conflict is already on top of them. 

I like the many complications that are in the show right now. Finally a real whodunnit! 

But, yes, I am impatient to know the status of those ornaments! 

Probably I am the only one with a positive about Alicia Leigh Willis & that's because she was the last Alli Fowler on AW

One thing I found odd. Stefan & Ava sitting in a chapel. Later she speaks about feeling helpless & they won't let her sit with Harris, so all she can do is pray. But, why is Stefan there with her? I mean I know it's so he can be her "talk-to" but there is no character motivation for him to be there. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
more

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Probably just another script writer who didn’t do their homework, like when they had Maggie say that Bill and Laura had an affair

Please register in order to view this content

@Donna L. Bridges Rachel being smart and clever must mean that she’s even more evil. She’s trying to throw people off

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Still all too appalling! 

Of course she is! She is diabolical. When Brady & Kristen fight, at any moment I expect it to begin to rain, thunder & lightning right there in the room! They create so much energy. (And if it were sexual, I cannot imagine!) And they created her & now they have these toxic events, creating so much energy, raw energy. 

• Members

I wonder if Maggie did think it was an affair - although I am probably giving the writing too much credit. I don't know how Salem saw it at the time. (I know Maggie didn't come on the show until after the fallout)

• Members

Definitely.  Out of all the million romantic moments that John/Marlena have had, it was weird to bring up one directly tied to their affair.  It's a flashback we don't see often, so that's nice I guess.

Probably.  I remember Roman being jealous of John for many reasons and irritated that he was throwing around money and instantly rich, but I don't ever remember Roman doubting Marlena being faithful.

Marlena, at the time, was extremely upset about the dance and thought people could tell, so that could be why she spoke of it the way she did.  I just don't think anyone in town thought anything of it except it was a nice gesture for charity.  

***I also have my doubts Rachel has any friends.  She's a demon and I can't imagine anyone, even young children, liking her much.   She seems like the type of kid who would steal someone's toys and break them just because.

• Members

I'm delighted that Brady had that scene with Kristen. It was really satisfying to see him confront her about all her crimes. Eric Martsolf's acting range may be limited, but he excels at portraying passionate anger. In a soap opera where characters rarely stay in jail or dead, it's refreshing to see some semblance of justice, even if it's not through the legal system.

I find it amusing how Julie and Maggie have essentially become caretakers for Victoria, Thomas, and Charlotte. Julie wasn't the most attentive mother to David and Hope when they were toddlers, and Maggie didn't even meet 2/3 of her children until they were much older. I assume Maggie must have help around the mansion to clean up after the kids, but if I were Sarah or Chad, I'd consider hiring a nanny.

Everett appears quite suspicious. I've mentioned before that I hope his shadiness is limited to being an adulterer and nothing more sinister.

I understand that the storyline aims to highlight the dangers of drug use. It began with Holly innocently trying marijuana, but now months later, the situation has escalated to assassinations and arson. However, it feels like the emphasis on the sale of marijuana and prescription drugs is exaggerated. These substances don't typically require imports by boats, nor do they generate enough profit to corrupt law enforcement. It's reminiscent of the 1990s DARE/Scared Straight campaigns, and if Brady starts cracking eggs to deter Rachel from vaping, it wouldn't be surprising given the juvenile treatment of the issue.

As a social issue narrative, the story misses the mark by not addressing the ease of access to drugs. Instead, it characterizes the problem as a massive cartel led by a stereotypical villain. For instance, wouldn't it be more impactful if Holly were struggling with stimulants prescribed by Tripp to help her keep up with schoolwork alongside Tate? This would provide a more nuanced portrayal of drug abuse and its roots.

Edited by j swift

• Webmaster

I also spoke with Michael Sluchan and shared a really interesting conversation that delves deeper into specifics about the show, his favorite storyline/character, technicalities, and whether there's a future for the show, plus whether Peacock would do another "traditional" soap, including rebooting Passions or Sunset Beach. Transcribing it right now.

• Members

I don't think drug stories on soaps are often very realistic.  I believe what Days is trying to say is that these innocuous drugs like pot or whatever Holly took are laced with fentanyl and how unpredictable it is.   I do think it's pretty relevant and big money.  I don't think Days is capable of telling such a story the way the show is structured now.  I will say I prefer this type of story that reaches several people on the canvas over, say, Megan kidnapping 3 grandmas and putting them on ice.