GH: O’Connor/Van Etten OUT! Mulcahey/Korte IN!

• Members

I disagree in the sense of launching a new show. They needed that something extra in the launch of the show.  And I liked the first PC Karen. But it’s not the same as premiering a new show with the original couple that had been very popular on GH.

Anyway, back to Mulcahey/Korte!

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I myself have called this time a period of guarded optimism colored with skepticism. I've discussed it with others who feel the same. I don't think we could honestly be more excited because we are naturally skeptical.  So it's a good feeling but also a worried one. To me that is just the way it is with soaps today. 

• Members

I'm remembering when Sally Sussman returned to Y&R and we were hoping for a return to a more classic style, which never eventuated,so who knows what's in store for GH.

Guess it depends on Mulcahey's motives - did he take the gig for the money and/ or because he was missing the creativity or structure of daytime writing?

Maybe he's already realistic about what he can achieve in the current climate and just wants to do what he can.

He's never been a headwriter (apart from a short stint at GL)right? There's a big difference b/w writing good scenes and dialogue and creating cohesive long term story.

Time will tell.

• Members

If Mulcahey is allowed to do what he does, I don't think we'll be disappointed. But if Disney-ABC continues to meddle in the writing as they've done for some time, we're going to get watered down scripts.

Sussman came back with a "revenge agenda" and it showed. "Oh they didn't re-hire me before, so I'm going to just undo everything that's been done!" Her arrival interview was so off-putting then and it is even more so now.

• Members

With all due respect, Sally Sussman Morina did great work resetting many of the characters to a recognizable form. She just didn’t have any plot engine to drive forward. I think that stint would have been successful if she had a co-head writer generating stories, and she was in charge of the characterizations within the stories.

Mulcahey may not have been a head writer for long stretches, but he was often high up on the teams. His scripts are legendary, but he has also been an Associate HW, etc.

What excites me about Mulcahey- I am interested in seeing the combination of Valentini with a strong writer that is known for character and actual human emotion. Even if it blows up. Valentini has never had a head writer of this caliber while EP.

By all accounts she came back with no agenda. It was a last minute thing, she didn’t even have a bible and wasn’t actively trying to get the job. That was part of the problem. 

• Members

It’s an experiment with a writer widely known for quitting when things get tense behind the scenes. If anything, it will be interesting to see how long this experiment lasts. If it’s a purely money/medical insurance play, that too will show in the final product. 

it’s at least exciting to have something or some kind of change to look forward to. 

• Members

I would point out that as usual with Elizabeth Korte, nothing actually attributes that quote to her. I've been seeing people coast on vibes about this woman for over 20 years.

• Members

Okay, on the flip side I have heard some things about Elizabeth Korte that are positives. She is said to be a fixer, a script doctor & to be the best at fixing writing that is in trouble. She is said to be an excellent writer of both dialog & story. She has held the position of both continuity editor and of show historian.