Man's best friends - Pets

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I have the clearest memory of one summer afternoon in Columbus, MS where we were outside working in the yard & we had the girls with us, they being our Westies Casey & Curley & they were off leash as we were trusting them not to dash off to chase a squirrel when Margi pulled up in this strange pick-up truck, pulled over, opened up the passenger door & Curley ran right for her & jumped in the truck & Margi took off with her. Curley & Margi were very special to each other.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jacqueline Babbin, a Peabody and Emmy winner, claimed: "I've made my cat a star." Where else could you enjoy yourself so much? The Persian cat owned by Miss Babbin, named Bonkers, frequently visits the studio. He is dropped off at the made-up town of Pine Valley, where he happily expresses himself for nothing more than cab fares and fame. In addition to having a network biography, Bonkers has been referenced in Liz Smith's column and appeared on the cover of a magazine.

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members
Posted (edited)

Elmo has started to defend me or guard me... at least that's how I perceive it... when my husband tries to kiss me or touch me. He comes up and starts growling and standing in between us. I hope this is not some reactive behavior.

Edited by Althea Davis

• Members

WE JUST FOUND OUR FIRST TICK. It was DISGUSTING and I managed to remove it intact. Poor dog didn't know what was going on and was thinking it's a belly rub time.

For the past hours I've been searching his body for others and didn't find any. Will call the vet just to be safe with some questions. GOD DAMN.

• Members

Normally I enjoy FB's "Memories". But, sometimes they can be triggering. Here's what I ran into last night. 

July 18, 2019

BAD NEWS ABOUT HOLLY

I just got a call from Melissa, driving back from the beach, on her way to Pine Lake. This has been the first week our youngest rescue, Holly, has been struggling with kidney disease. She hasn't objected to the low protein diet. But, the vet had added another antibiotic. And, Melissa has just found out from Jane (who has been looking after the dogs for us) that Holly's not doing well. Not wanting to go out, which is unheard of in Holly-Land! Having trouble breathing, Shivering & shaking. It sounds to Melissa & to me like we may have to have Holly "put down" later today. I just cancelled/re-scheduled a doc appt. so that I can be there just in case. Have a good thought for us!

Later, we held her across our laps & read the poem "In Blackwater Woods" by Mary Oliver & then told the vet were ready. 

The end, an excerpt, from IN BLACKWATER WOODS, by Mary Oliver.

To live in this world you must be able to do 3 things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against you knowing your life may depend on it; and when it comes time to let it go, let it go.

I still miss Holly. She was the only dog who enjoyed riding in my convertible with me. Special, shared times.