Y&R: December 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Was there ever any doubt that Billy would go over to Chancellor-Winters after Jill asked him to join her? I think JG tried to create suspense or some type of mini-reversal but the beats were played too quickly, there wasn’t a hint of suspense and it wasn’t a proper reversal. I did like the dialogue between Billy and Jack when Billy explained his reasons why he thought it was a healthier decision for him to leave Jabot and move over to work at Chancellor-Winters, where he likened all the plotting and scheming to undo Tucker to the rush of gambling, which threatened to unravel his sobriety— too bad we didn’t see any hints of this playing out onscreen, that’s why this turnaround isn’t a proper reversal, which I hope JG wasn’t trying to write it as much.

• Members

JG CAN'T write Period!

Please register in order to view this content

I SWEAR I WOULD GET HIM RC AND BB BLACKLISTED IF I COULD! GH is my least favorite soap yet I would rather watch that over the other three soaps! Those head writers are atrocious! All three shows have so much to be compelling but just aren't!

I often blame it on the lack of competition! 

• Members

Oh, I agree, I thought I would lead with saying something positive. I gave up on B&B years ago, an I was never a faithful viewer of the two other remaining soaps, tbh). 
Most of the drama seems to be left out of the show entirely now. Once upon a time, seeing a character wrestle with these issues was what kept us tuned in, I mean, even to hear an inner voice exclaiming how much of a rush it is, while another somber voice warning how destruction is usually just on the horizon once this adrenaline rush appears. I mean, it doesn’t have to be more than a few scenes scattered over a few episodes, they could have sandwiched it in when Billy is having yet another meeting with Chelsea at the coffeehouse, his thoughts could drift, while Chelsea yammers on about some work project. I remember when soaps used to do this, sure, movies like Airplane! took up the device and used it for comedic effect but they did it because it’s an effective device to express a character’s feelings about something.

These shows could have a lot of life in the right hands but these guys are tanking these shows’ prospects.

On a separate note, is Audra’s weakness young scions from prominent families? Will she have any interaction with Noah when he visits? It would be interesting if somehow Noah were still able to summon some deeper feeling. I think they’re trying to do that with Audra’s conflicting feelings about Kyle but it’s too mixed in with the scheming and double-dealing with Tucker. Noah would be a true litmus test as to whether Audra is more than a superficial person, whether there is any depth.

• Members

Billy's decision to leave Jabot might carry more weight had he been a part of it for years. But there was all that podcast nonsense. And I don't believe there had been any solid business story in his most recent stint at Jabot.

And characters changing jobs happens almost weekly, so it's all a bit meh.

• Members

Wow, I might have to go back and check those episodes. Watching Audra now, I would never have thought she would allow anything that could be a possible vulnerability.

Speaking of losing a child, was I the only one who found that outcome with Cole and Victoria kind of anticlimactic?

Maybe there’s more to it than what was revealed in yesterday’s episode?

Taken in isolation, Jason Thompson did a good job with his monologue in those scenes between Billy and Jack but overall, there were no raised stakes for him and we could all figure out that he was going to leave when he chose to be at the coffeehouse with Chelsea when that big meeting at the Abbott house was going on. There’s not much story, other than a lot of talking about strategy. Tucker’s intellectual theft strategy seems like a rehash of something Victor might have done a decade ago to give Brash & Sassy the edge in a product release, except back then we might actually be told what product.