ALL: What about Bill Bell's writing made his stories and shows the top standard?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If you didn't see it I think it would seem impossible that he had Doug & Julie want so badly to be together but repeatedly be out of synch with each other's availability. Julie was with David so Doug was with Addie. Then Julie was free but Doug was with Addie. Then it was just shampoo/rinse/repeat over & over with them getting a spare weekend to an island every other time possible. And he created the first supercouple with that formula. 

• Members

I'm quite capable of being a true historian of soaps & using the first mention by media as my basis. I also fully acknowledge ATWT's Penny & Jeff's chronological advantage but what if the first coinage of the term is the Time 1976 cover & article? Then calling them a supercouple is a read-back. They couldn't be the first if the term didn't exist yet. 

But in point of fact I am not too concerned with who is right on this issue. Except for what I believe is the first use of the term being my basis, I'm pretty fluid. And, I also am not calling out anyone's status as a "true soap historian" into question. I think that's just being inflammatory rather than conversational. 

• Members

I wasn't referring to anyone on this message board, I was referring to professional soap historians who have written books, numerous articles, taught classes, etc.  That's why I used the word "true."  Maybe I should have used the term "professional."  And I do still believe that any professional historian of soap operas would likely agree that Penny and Jeff were daytime's first super-couple.  But like most things I post, that is my opinion only.   

• Members

Which do you think are his BEST characters.

I would say. From Bold... ranking for originality...

1. Stephanie

2.Sally Spectra

3.Sheila

4.Clark

5.Brooke

6.Caroline

7.Taylor - especially early Taylor

8.Deveney Dixon

• Members

Susan Flannery got the part of Stephanie Forrester on the new half hour soap on CBS, THE BOLD & THE BEAUTIFUL, and in its first review she got the only good line. "What was strikingly original from the start was the performance of Susan Flannery as Stephanie Forrester - a fascinating alabaster sphinx of a woman."

• Members

The more I watch old clips of Jaime Lyn Bauer as Lorie and read about Lorie's years in Genoa City, the more I'm convinced Lorie was Bell's all-time best creation.  Simply put, she was a character who worked in so many different ways.  You had the sibling rivalry with Leslie that also fed into a triangle with Brad Eliot, the generational conflicts with Stuart and Jennifer, the revelation of her true bio dad and near-incest with Bruce Henderson, the star-crossed love with Lance, the triangle with Lance and Lucas, the QUADRANGLE with Lance, Lucas AND Leslie, the custody drama over Brooks, the "mother-in-law from hell" psychodrama with Vanessa, the corporate intrigue (mixed with sexual attraction) with Victor....  I mean, that girl had her feet in so many different kinds of storylines; yet, Bell never lost track of who she was at her core, and she remained a sympathetic character throughout all of it.

I would add Lorie, Jill and Drucilla to that list.

Edited by Khan