General Hospital: November 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Yep, and this is the very definition of half-assing it. I realize she's had health problems, but if GH is indulging her and enabling her because of that, it's wrong.

And I realize it's early, but this "Maxie has money problems" storyline is an eye-roller. Have we ever seen Maxie live to excess? Her place isn't extravagant, and certainly her wardrobe isn't. She doesn't have a drug problem or a gambling addiction.

The "Deceptor isn't making any money and it'll take a few years" doesn't work for me either. So no one there gets paid while they're in the red? That's not how it works. I'm willing to let some things go, but make it make sense.

It's the kid of story that's as meaningful as the Newmans on #YR changing positions and companies.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Frankly, right now, and lately, I have not thought that Maxie looks bad. I've thought that she now looks better than she did even a year ago. There's no problem with the brows now. Her hair isn't greasy. She just looks ordinary in her clothes instead of it looking like something is wrong.

And I thought I had said this before, ... but heck maybe I did not. The show doesn't push the point in the way y'all are thinking they should because they're afraid of her reaction. Now you're gonna say that's dysfunctional. And, of course, you're right. Being right about it is as far as that will go. 

Now I am delighted that SoapHub has awarded a new status. They're calling it November Powerhouse Performer & of course for GH Finola got it. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I don't mind the story-it just doesn't make sense.  Maxie should have multiple income streams outside of Deception plus she's worked her entire adult life.  It reminds me of that story that was dropped years ago where Liz blew all her money on a bad investment lol.

An actor/actress shouldn't be holding the show hostage.  The show shouldn't be afraid of her reaction over something relatively minor.  There are professional ways to frame this sort of discussion with KS without making her feel bad.  

And, yes, Maxie's hair does look greasy a lot.

• Members

Oh, I am not trying to shoot the messenger here.  I appreciate the insight.  I hope it didn't come across as hostile.

Anyhow, it's just frustrating to me that the show can't have an honest conversation with KS.  She's gained weight.  We know that, they know that, she knows that.  Oh well.  People gain weight.  Instead of trying to work around it so she looks good the show seems to be ignoring the problem and that makes it more obvious.  I don't begrudge KS for not being a size 0 anymore, but I do have issues with her not fully embracing the character of Maxie and just playing herself.

• Members

I honestly think the show is just happy that Kirsten seems (supposedly) more mentally and emotionally well and isn't taking long breaks anymore (for reasons that vary depending on who you ask) that they don't want to try for anything more.

She was unwell for a long time. She still looks wrung out to me and I think both the character and actor need a long break from the show.

• Members

You know I am happy KS seems to be in a better place and healthier.   I just think at some point you need to stop coddling the actress.  It's becoming a liability and I don't think more "stable" actors would be allowed such grace.  It's GH's choice and I respect that.  I still don't think asking her to wear a flattering blouse instead of a men's flannel is a big ask, but I don't know her trauma or her issues.  It's probably a slippery slope and with TC passing I don't want to judge any sort of mental issues.  So I'll shut up about it lol.  

• Toups unpinned this topic
  • Members

I totally agree. But I think the easiest solution is what needed to be done several years ago: Write her and Maxie out.

The UK/European/Aussie soaps don't seem nearly as afraid of heavier women - Neighbours has several, I believe, or at least mature ones. Eastenders has Kat and Sharon whose weight has fluctuated. It's the US that has difficulty. But none of those foreign soaps dress their women the way Genie is dressed, namely terribly yet again. Anyway, this feels tacky to itemize but there you are.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I completely agree but, again, I do think the talent is selecting what they want to wear. If I recall, the last genuine time I feel like a woman on American daytime who was dressed by wardrobe when their weight did up was Melody Thomas Scott, although, her wardrobe always crossed with Nikki and vice versa. But she was never dressed, and I hate to use this word: frumpy, in the way I feel like the women of General Hospital have been dressed.