Days of Our Lives: October 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

I am with @j swift on the Maggie/Justin scenes.  I think it was a clunky delivery on Maggie's part, but I don't think it was intentional rape erasure in, say, the way Luke/Laura's past was whitewashed on GH.  I am not sure if Justin even needed to know those very personal details about Bill/Laura because that wasn't the point of the story.  It was about Mickey/Mike.   I know if you are going to use history it should be used correctly and the whole story should have been worded better.  I just think it would be a very difficult and personal thing to explain to Justin.  I mean, she didn't explain it caused Mickey to have a mental breakdown either. Idk, I see both sides of the argument, but it didn't offend me personally as much as some others on here.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know that I'm kind of jumping the gun here, but from the foreshadowing (and being ignorant of any spoilers), are we to assume that after meeting Alex once, Theresa decided to use him to make Brady jealous, change Justin's relationship with his son, and affect change in the corporate structure at Titan?  I mean, she did all of that without even knowing if Alex was good in bed.

Also, why are people on soaps so quick to share their pot?  When I watched ABC After School Specials as a kid, I thought at least 10 people a year would offer me a joint, but it's never happened.   And don't we think Holly would vape?  The props dept may be stuck in the 1980s.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Get Louise Sorel on contract! She adds so much to this dreary soap.

Emily O'Brien as Theresa is a complete failure. Any chance Ben 2.0 working with Theresa went out the door with the recast.

LK and DH must have lots of episode guarantees but no story so they are being used as the gossip queens of Salem.

Loving Tate!

Holly is ok.....but why write both as mischievous?

Abe still has amnesia? Ridiculous!! The story has been a snooze since day one.

Still finishing today's episode.

• Members

It is plausible, because even though they move around a bit, they rarely interact with anyone else at the pub or the hospital while they share scenes.  My quibble is why don't they ever include Kayla in their coffee klatch?  Have they forgotten that she was in heaven with them?  I know Marlena told Kayla all the gossip about her patients a few weeks ago, but Kayla and Kate seem to have many shared interests in the baby drama with Sloan, Nicole, and Sarah, yet they hardly hang out.  I'm racking my brain to think if there is any historic reason why Kayla and Kate wouldn't be closer.

Edited by j swift

• Members

The show gives Kayla more to do like bother Stephanie about marriage lol?  I honestly chalk it up to MBE just filming on different days and I do suspect these Kate/Marlena gossip sessions were filmed in a day.   In my opinion I consider Marlena better friends with both individually anyhow.  Kate/Kayla could be friends, but it's also not weird to me that they aren't sharing scenes either.   IDK, when you actually think about Marlena/Kate being such buddies it is weird considering Kate used to be engaged to John and is married to her ex-husband and did everything possible to destroy Sami's life.  But whatever.  

• Members

@carolineg

Nothing makes sense on Days.

Please register in order to view this content

. Marlena and Kate being buddies is no exception.

Although I was never friends with Michael..... We went to middle school, Jr high, high school and even college together and we never spoke. Even in passing between classes in college no hello but after college I saw him one day in town and he stops and chats with me. We've been friends ever since. 

So I guess it's possible with marlena and kate.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

You know, it is possible for Kate/Marlena to be bff since it was something established to go back to the 70's and they have a ton of grandkids and people in common.  It's just Kate has done a lot of crappy things to Marlena/Marlena's daughters and it wasn't ever really resolved.  They just became bff again.  And this isn't a Ron thing.  It just sort of happened through time.  I guess Marlena is just really forgiving unless you are Talia lol.

• Members

I don't see how rape erasure doesn't fit. Bill raped Laura & she became pregnant from the rape & gave birth to Mike. Maggie said that Laura had an affair, indicating that's where Mike's conception came from. Voila. Did away with the rape & made Laura an adulterer. Obviously her reason for telling the story was about Mickey & Mike still being father & son even once the lack of biology was known, stands. It is not affected. 

The more I think about it, the more I think Maggie just decided to clean up the story & not get into rape & not get distracted away from her point. 

But I still think it was a wrong choice for the show to make. So, what else is new, right? 

Next up, I thought Tate said $50,000 in damages. 

I don't like Stephanie's attitude toward Chad. 

I think Doug & Julie are too old to be playing at active grandparenting to Thomas & Charlotte. 

I saw a clip today of DVD at DisneyWorld with performers doing one of his songs for him. What was notable was that he was in a wheelchair. Probably because there's so much territory to cover. 

Deidre on her FB page had a pic with Greg Meng where she said she'd spent the day with her BFF. 

• Members

Hey, Marlena was in an episode for more than 30 seconds!

I have mixed feelings about her becoming Harris and Ava’s bff but at the same time, it’s much better than her friendship with the serial killer

I’m glad she got to see her grandson though, now if only John can see him.

And I’m also glad that we got scenes of Holly and Nicole today. Nicole prying about who Holly has feelings for and Holly being embarrassed about it is very relatable.

Too bad she uses the last name Jonas though. I was hoping it would be Walker. 

And, I liked Johnny/Chanel too. They were a real sweet, dorky couple today. But it’s time for some conflict lol hopefully something with Tripp/Wendy that Holly could exploit. 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

The Chad/Stephanie conflict feels inorganic. IRL men can be averse to commitment.  However, we've seen Chad pursue Stephanie.  He asked her to move in together.  He made most of the first moves in the relationship.  So, it is jarring that in the space of one week, and an overheard discussion between his girlfriend and her mother, that suddenly Chad has cold feet.

And we don't know enough about this iteration of Stephanie to understand her reaction to Chad's apprehension, unless we're supposed to think that all women are the same and dream of white picket fences (which would be an odd assumption in 2023).  Or, why she lives with a guy, but refuses to tell him her expectations for the relationship.  And when did Kayla become an overbearing mother who pressures her daughter to get a ring?

Finally, we have the classic issue that annoys me.  When characters hug, and one is making a face to camera, but the other one is oblivious.  We don't need that type of clunky visual in order to understand their thoughts, and IRL their partner would be more sensitive to their reaction.

So, obvious that you'd have to have never seen a soap before to miss it!  It felt very heavy handed

• Members

Nicole: well what does she look like?

Tate: she'sssssssss she's hot

Nicole(rolls eyes): very helpful Tate

Nicole: Is this her?

Tate: Yeah yeah that's Holly!

Nicole: hmmm..

Tate: why do you have a photo of her?

Nicole: because she's my daughter

• Members

It's a little strange Holly/Tate have no idea who one another are.  Weren't Brady/Nicole together at some point after both kids were born?  You would think the names would at the very least spark a memory even if they haven't seen one another in years.  Tate isn't a very common name either. 

@AbcNbc247 I just knew once SBu was hired and put on the main show he'd be involved with Marlena and/or John.  Even with the Kate/Marlena propping, Harris feels so far removed from the main canvas.  I don't really get Harris's purpose and I know this pairing with TB isn't going to be it even though I do think the actors are charming together. 

I think you said Tate looks like William Lipton and I totally agree lol.  I like him so far.  Holly is a little green as an actress though.