What Are You Listening To?

WTGH

• Members

NOTE: I hope this is considered topical. If it's not, I apologize & I will take it down.

And, I was there! It was right before my birthday & Tuscaloosa was about an hour's car trip, one way, and I didn't even know about it & David Stampley & Sherry Edwards got tickets & planned the whole thing & surprised me a few days ahead & treated me to my all time favorite Joni Mitchell. The acoustics were incredible. She was lovely in black, looking very formal. Part of the time she sat & played at this humongous grand piano & part she stood & sang & part she stood & played guitar & sang. She sang everything! She had to. We just wouldn't have left until she did!

Please register in order to view this content

Last week I streamed TAR. I love Cate Blanchett & so to me it was an excellent movie & she may take home the Oscar for it. You may know already that for the role she learned to play the piano, learned to speak German & learned to conduct an orchestra like Leonard Bernstein. Maestro Please! Bonus quote: The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring conformity. - Lydia Tar, 2022 That's a line she uses on one of her students at Juilliard & she seems to like to put them down. She's a real character. She hears random noises off & on all the time. She lives openly as a lesbian, with a musician wife. They have a child about 10. You never see her putting any pressure on young women that she has power over. I thought that was an interesting facet to the storytelling. In real life no one ever sees anything but the victims themselves. However, we did see some fallout around her, heard about a girl having a nervous breakdown & about a suicide attempt. 

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic