Days: February 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Agree about the looser scripts. I don't see any of that either.

I also agree -- wholeheartedly -- about the writing. It's great that we're getting Bope back, and I know that's costing some $$$, but it's not enough.

There's so much "dumb stuff" that it's breathtaking. I can live with the Heaven scenes, but only in a limited way. What we're getting is bonkers and annoying, and I don't trust any executive with telling Ron to shut that stuff down.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Unless they find a writer who's a REAL visionary I still think Ron's their best fit vs. the typically rotated assortment of daytime writers.

I don't believe I've watched any of the shows Mulcahey wrote when he wrote them so I can't say whether I'd like him or not. I'd give him a chance though.

One of the things I like about Ron is how he pays homage to history and blends different eras together. The show has an identity under him and even though it's a mess right now, at least I'm watching.

All it takes is thinking about the snooze parade of Tomlin, Whitesell, Higley, McPherson, etc. to appreciate Ron. He needs a co-HW though.

Edited by KLN

• Members

Rex lives in Chicago.

I don't know where in Africa Bill Horton lived.  I don't know where in Africa Steve and Kayla lived. Were they ever specified as being in any specific country? 

As mentioned above, Shawn and Belle live in Salem and were only visiting Claire in Johannesburg for Christmas/New Years.  When Marlena was dying, Shawn and Belle decided that Belle would fly immediately to Salem but Shawn should stay in Johannesburg a little longer with Claire due to her mental health issues, because Claire might be upset/triggered by the ladies dying. The plan was for Shawn to return to Salem soon. Who knows what will happen with that.

Serena, Xander, and Eric all lived in the Congo.  Eric later returned to the Congo.

I don't know the original scenes on regular Days but that connection was mentioned in Beyond Salem.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Something that is really stand out about the town of Salem is that a great many people who live there are interconnected with each other & have been for decades!!! This show is being written as if these people do not know each other a'tall much less have common life experiences! And, I don't understand why. And, somehow that seems worse than just saying pacing, balance & use of personnel are appalling. 

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I feel like in Salem this would be no big deal, and it might not even make news in The Spectator

Also, given the discussion about the paucity of real estate in Salem, do we think Bo and Hope are going to be bunking on the sofa in the Horton living room or will Belle give them back the bed where the devil assaulted their son Shawn?

Finally, I still don't get the logic why Will has to go to New Zealand to write a script for a movie to be shot there?  I'm pretty sure the Lord of Rings script wasn't written on site.  And soaps are famously written by people who are never on set.  So, why does Will need to move, but Sonny can still run a company remotely?  At least it solves the issue of Gabi needing dialogue about who is taking care of her kid. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

Well, I will differ on this. Again, I thought Bill did a great job & was well used. The first time he was DevilDoug in demonic possession 2.0 was one of the 2 scripts that won them last years' WGA & Writing Emmy. I thought that script was sound, valid, tight, really well-written. So, there's that. FWIW to ya.

• Members

It’s not that I didn’t think he would do a good job as the devil. I saw this mentioned on another board and it had me thinking. Granted tomorrow is not promise to anyone. But thinking back to John Aniston and his last scene. Bill is older as well and to think what if this was his last scenes. Not like how I would like to see him play his last scenes. But not too get to dark. 

I think just in this case this is not a possession SL right now. This heaven and hell or at least this is how it’s written. So the devil could have been played by an extra. Personally I think it would have been more interesting and added something unexpected to todays scenes.