Paramount + & Showtime to merge

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It makes sense as Showtime is a subsidiary of media conglomerate Paramount Global. Believe it or not, yes I paid for the Paramount + and Showtime bundle. When they offered the bundle deal back in November or December of 2022, I was all in. Paramount + caters to more of my viewing habits and it offers sooooo much. As far as Showtime, I think all their original series have much better quality as compared to original series on Hulu, but that's just me. 

Honestly, I don't think it's an age thing for me at all, lol! Remember when CBS was categorized as "the older folks generation" network? I don't think that holds true anymore. Honestly, I'm a very happy camper with this bundle. If I want to watch Season 4 or Season 17 of The Bold and the Beautiful, I can. 

But to note, I paid for it, lol! I'm a downloader whore where I convert or encode original files in better quality. So for me to pay for this bundle means that this streaming service has a lot to offer. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Noel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

That’s interesting news @dragonflies. I suspect neither service is looking particularly sustainable down the road.

The Paramount+ merger with Showtime didn’t appear to accomplish all that much, at least in the short term. They did the stupidest thing with the Grammys by tying the streaming rights to Showtime. What do the Grammys have to do with Showtime when someone with a good antenna can pick up the broadcast. I’m beginning to think that one of the reasons why so many of these media companies are struggling is due to their lack of ethical business practices catching up with them.

• Members

Wow, Peacock hasn’t turned a profit yet? I guess that’s not surprising, it took the likes of Amazon and Netflix years to become profitable but Amazon existed for over a decade before they started charging monthly subscription fees and for years, Netflix spent almost as much money on postage to mail out all those DVDs.

My concern is what it usually is when mergers happen, layoffs and consolidation of services so less customer service, more nonsense AI replies and some way to raise fees for less service.

• Members

I'm not sure why paramount plus and Showtime merged. I had paramount plus but couldn't watch any Showtime shows unless I paid extra for it. Ummmmm....no thanks.

Even with the mergers you're still paying for both instead of buy one get free deal. 

I kept peacock but got rid of Paramount plus recently because it was too much $$ having both.

Edited by Soapsuds