Y&R: Anthony Morina OUT as EP!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

They've got to do something, because they're at the point where the lack of sets severely limits what the writers can do. They can't tell storylines involving a hospital or a police station or a courtroom! They just all meet at the coffehouse and if there's a court case they pretend to get a text with the judge's decision. They decided to bring Hillary back as Amanda, the brilliant lawyer who never lost a case, and build her storyline on her grandfather's case and then they don't show the trial. Dominick is so sick he needs a transplant but all his doctors treat him in the living room. Every single storyline is narrative exposition of things that happened offscreen.  Griffith is terrible but no one can write like this. Soaps in the 50s and 60s managed better. It's pathetic.

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. The show is terrible. It's not even really a show because they don't show anything happening. But at least it's just background noise while I do other stuff with actors I want to see, sometimes doing good work. I'll take it over the days of a million doppelgangers running around but that's very faint praise. At least they're not actively destroying the show right now. The cast is good, the threads are there if there were decent writers and a budget to pick it up, but that will never happen, so I guess just leave it like this so we get a good classic clip show a couple of times a year.

• Members

I don't understand the cost savings in deconstructing existing sets.  Nor do I understand why they can't create bedrooms or hospital rooms with one wall, and tight camera angles.  Their biggest problem seems to be lack of imagination, rather than the tight budget itself.   

• Members

I was hoping that I was off and that was the room that off of the living room set during the Billy/Chloe wedding. And then that weird hallway showed up and I just knew someone was going to be livid. 

I love that picture, too. Especially her nails.

That said...Them EPs are gonna learn to not mess with that set.

• Members

Yeah, when Chance & Abby were sitting in that little "anteroom" discussing Devon's having porked her, there was a hallway visible outside the little room, and you could see some french doors in the hallway.  There was no evidence of a front door, a living room, or a dining room anywhere near the little "anteroom".  It gave the impression they'd constructed this makeshift little anteroom in order to ditch what was left of the foyer and the living room.  

• Members

I think the new sets like the Chancellor room are smaller and therefore take up less space in the studio. This means they can have more permanent standing sets and don't have to pay for sets to be taken down and put back up.

What puzzles me is the random nature which is applied to sets.

Harrison in one episode got a bedroom set, yet everyone else has to get it on in the living room.

We have discussed before having a generic office set that could be cleverly redecorated for use by different characters or the two wall sets like we saw for Chance's psychologist months back, or the Marchetti office etc

A booth, a wall and some decor and you have a restaurant.

• Members

That's essentially it, which is why we predominately see people talking in Crimson Lights and Society, etc. They're permanently put up sets for the sole purpose of multi-use.

I didn't hate the blue paint... I just think it could've been better executed. I do hate it in Elizabeth's home on General Hospital, though.

• Members

I believe they're too broke even to pay the set decorator to change out the props in the Generic Office Set.  Which is why they don't really have one.  

One day last week (I believe it was Friday), Tucker and Eileen had an especially poverty-stricken scene in Crimson Lights.  They wandered in, and of course there wasn't an extra anywhere in sight, because the show had exhausted its budget for the week and couldn't pay another customer $1,000 to sit at a table.  It was just an empty tumble-weed set like an abandoned ghost-town bar on Gunsmoke.  

Tony Morina was FAR too broke to pay Sharon Case to appear in the episode.  

Instead, some random male barista was standing at the register.  He was strictly forbidden to speak, because if he'd spoken, he would've gone from being an "extra" at $1,000 per day to an "under five" at $1,500 per day, and the extra $500 would've evidently forced SONY into immediate bankruptcy. 

So Tony Marina must've told the barista, "Don't you say ONE WORD.  You'd better not even GRUNT.  If you make a SOUND and cost us an extra $500, I'll kick your tail out of here so fast you'll knock that Crimson Lights Dummy off the wall as you sail past."

This left Tucker and Ashley having to take each other's orders, with the barista wordlessly looking on and trying to gesture with his eyes that he knew what they wanted.  "Well, Ashley, I'd bet you'd like a hot chocolate with cream on the top.  Me, why I believe I'll have a regular coffee.  Black."  "I'm not sure I want the cream."  "I bet you do.  I bet you do want cream on the top.  And I'm SURE I want a coffee."  

The barista was forbidden to tell them how much the drinks were, so Tucker threw him a bill and said, "Keep the change."  The barista was forbidden to say, "Thanks" or "Merry Christmas" or anything.  It was the WORST saving of $500 I've ever seen on the show.   They may as well have held up a sign that said, "We're too broke to let the barista speak.  That's why Trevor and Eileen are taking each other's orders!"  

And when you start noticing stuff like that, it's awfully hard to enjoy the episode.