Eurovision Song Contest 2023

OzFrog

• Members

Eurovision 2023 is off to Liverpool in the UK, with the slogan of “United By Music”!

Another contest is on its way! And in somewhat unusual circumstances for recent times (it has not happened since 1980), the next contest will not be held in the country of the previous contest’s winner (Ukraine, for obvious reasons) - rather that honour has fallen to the second place getter, the United Kingdom (in what can only be described as a phenomenal turnaround of fortunes).

Dates for the 2023 contest are as follows:

• Semi-Final One - 9 May 2023
  • Semi-Final Two - 11 May 2023
  • Grand Final - 13 May 2023 

Please register in order to view this content

With the withdrawal of Bulgaria, North Macedonia and Montenegro, we have just 37 countries officially lined up for the contest, the lowest number since 2014!

A number of countries have confirmed National Finals for their 2023 selections: Albania , Belgium , Croatia , Czechia , Denmark , Estonia , Finland , Georgia , Germany , Iceland , Ireland , Italy , Latvia , Lithuania , Malta , Moldova , Norway , Poland , Portugal , Romania , San Marino , Serbia , Spain , Sweden , and Ukraine .

Artists have been internally selected and announced for the following countries:

• Armenia - Brunette
  • Australia  - Voyager
  • Austria - Teya & Salena
  • Azerbaijan  - TularTulanX
  • Cyprus  - Andrew Lambrou (who competed in Australia Decides 2022)
  • Greece - Victor Vernicos 
  • France - La Zarra 
  • Israel - Noa Kirel
  • Netherlands  - Mia Nicolai & Dion Cooper
  • Slovenia  - Joker Out
  • Switzerland  - Remo Forrer
  • United Kingdom  - Mae Muller

The venue will be the Liverpool Arena, with usual capacity of 11,000 (however, this may be quite reduced for the contest itself). Tickets are expected to go on sale soon. The thread will be updated as always as more info comes to hand, including the songs that will compete!

A big change that will come to the 2023 contest is in terms of the voting (and get ready, this is *major*)…

• Jury voting will be completely scrapped from the semi-finals - the countries proceeding to the final will be determined purely by televoting. Juries will remain alongside public voting in the grand final, however.
  • Global viewers will also get the chance to have their voices heard via a collective “rest of the world” public vote, and their votes will count as one country.
  • More information here: https://eurovision.tv/story/voting-changes-announced-eurovision-song-contest-2023

Speaking of semi-finals, here is how they will line up this year…

And here is where the Big 5 and Ukraine will vote…

SONGS

ALBANIA

AUSTRALIA

AUSTRIA

BELGIUM

CROATIA

CYPRUS

CZECHIA

DENMARK

ESTONIA

FINLAND

FRANCE

GERMANY

GREECE

IRELAND

ISRAEL

ITALY

LATVIA

LITHUANIA

MALTA

MOLDOVA

NETHERLANDS

NORWAY  

POLAND

PORTUGAL

ROMANIA

SAN MARINO

SERBIA

SLOVENIA

SPAIN

SWEDEN

SWITZERLAND

UKRAINE 

UNITED KINGDOM

Edited by OzFrog

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Peeps, national final season is underway and we already have our first known song for Liverpool!

Ukraine

has chosen Tvorchi with Heart of Steel via their Vidbir national selection tonight (which was held in a metro station/bomb shelter in Kyiv). Clip is below…

Edited by OzFrog

• Members

And now Albania

has chosen their song for Liverpool! In an unusual setup at this year’s Festivali i Këngës, the Eurovision entry was chosen in a 100% public vote completely separate from the jury ranking of the entries. And they have chosen Albina and Kelmendi Family with “Duje”…

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Last November, Het Grote Songfestivaal took place in the Netherlands where a lot of former Eurovision entrants performed their songs. Dutch Broadcaster AVOTROS has finally uploaded the performances, and some of these songs (and their performers!) haven't aged a bit. All of them sang live, btw.

Past winners:

Sweden 1991:

Greece 2005:

Norway 2009:

Sweden 2012:

Austria 2014:

Sweden 2015:

Ukraine 2016:

Israel 2018:

Netherlands 2019:

Ukraine 2022:

And my favorite song from last year's contest:

• Members

@Huntress I was actually at that very concert last November - the atmosphere in Ziggo Dome was *incredible*!

Meanwhile, it looks like France has gone internal and already selected their artist! La Zarra will represent the Big 5 nation this year in Liverpool…

https://eurovision.tv/story/la-zarra-will-represent-france-eurovision-2023

And in other news, the Semi-Final Allocation Draw and Handover Ceremony will be on January 31, hosted by Rylan and AJ Odudu! The slogan and look for the contest will also be revealed.

• Members

The third song has now been chosen, along with the eighth artist! In a shocking nailbiter of a vote last night during Belgium’s Eurosong national final, Flemish singer Gustaph came almost from nowhere to beat former Eurovision contestant Tom Dice (part of the Starlings) by *one solitary point*.

Below is Gustaph’s song that he will be performing in Liverpool in May…

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Folks we now have a logo *and* a slogan: United By Music!

We also had the Semi-Final Allocation Draw last night, and here’s how it has panned out…

Will also update the first post with all this info…

• Members

We start our long selection process here tonight.... 28 songs spread out over 4 weeks, and most of them will, in all likelihood, not be very good.

I think we had one of our best entries for a long time last year with "Hold me closer" and Cornelia will be a hard act to follow.

Loreen, winner of the ESC for Sweden in 2012 ("Euphoria") enters again this year, but most of the other contestants are virtual unknowns, at least to me.

• Members

I didn’t watch Mello last night, in favour of Norway’s and Spain’s selections, but from the snippets I heard on SVT this week, I was honestly not that inspired. Let’s see what the next few weeks bring.

And yes, I agree about Cornelia - she was my Eurovision top last year, and a prime example of when Sweden takes a risk on something other than the formulaic brand of pop that they’ve become renowned for.

In the meantime, we got another THREE songs confirmed last night!

First cab off the rank - Slovenia

! The previously-confirmed group Joker Out released their song and video clip for Carpe Diem officially yesterday evening… 

Next up, Norway held their final of Melodi Grand Prix, with Italian-born Alessandra Mele coming victorious in both the jury and televote with her song, “Queen Of Kings”…

And last but certainly not least, Spain had their Benidorm Fest final where Blanca Paloma, who also competed in last year’s Benidorm but lost to Chanel,  finally came out on top this year with her flamenco-inspired, “EaEa”…

• Members

I envy you.... I did watch, and I wish I hadn't. It was embarrassing. The performances were bad, the sound was bad and the person(s) who came up with the script for the hosts should be fired on the spot. It was cringeworthy.  

The absolute highlight was when Cornelia Jakobs appeared and performed her winner from last year. (Although this year's contestants might not have been so pleased, because her performance just emphasized how awful they were....)

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

Several new entries have been chosen:

Croatia: Let 3 / "Mama ŠČ!

Czech Republic: Vesna / "My Sister's Crown"
The Song is in English, Czech, Bulgarian and Ukrainian.

Denmark: Reiley / "Breaking My Heart"

Estonia: Alika / "Bridges"

Italy: Marco Mengoni / "Due vite"
Marco previously represented Italy in the 2013 Contest, where he finished in 7th place with the song "L'essenziale".

Latvia: Sudden Lights / "Aijā"

Malta: The Busker / "Dance (Our Own Party)"

Romania: Theodor Andrei / "D.G.T. (Off and On)"

---

These are the participants in the German national final ... I hope we finally send something decent and don't finish last (or second to last) for once 

Edited by Huntress