ARTICLE: ‘Days of our Lives’ Making the Shift from NBC to Peacock Starting September 12

• Webmaster
Days of our Lives, DAYS, DOOL, #DAYS, #DOOL

Beginning Monday, September 12, “Days of our Lives” will conclude its broadcast television run on NBC and will move exclusively to streaming service Peacock, it was announced today. The series will be replaced by “NBC News Daily” in the soap’s former network timeslot.

In making the announcement, the network noted that the flagship series will debut with all-new episodes that will be released daily on Peacock as part of the services premium plan. Previously, the soap had been available to stream without a paid subscription since joining the platform in mid-2020. It became a Peacock exclusive for streaming purposes in July 2021. The soap now joins the spinoff series “Days of our Lives: Beyond Salem” for what is being billed as the ultimate destination for daytime fans.

Since its debut on November 8, 1965, “Days of our Lives” has wracked up 58 Emmy Awards, including its most recent win for Outstanding Daytime Drama Series in 2018, and has received 372 nominations overall. The soap has aired more than 14,000 episodes and had been NBC’s longest-running series. Ken Corday is the executive producer and Albert Alarr is the co-executive producer. Ron Carlivati is the head writer.

With “NBC News Daily,” the network is offering stations a first-of-its-kind, live in most markets mid-day news, an hourlong program anchored by NBC News’ team of journalists, including Kate Snow, Aaron Gilchrist, Vicky Nguyen and Morgan Radford that’ll provide viewers with up-to-the-minute national and international news. NBC stations will also have the option to add local news instead, should they decide to go that route. “NBC News Daily” will also be streamed simultaneously on NBC News NOW and Peacock. 

“This programming shift benefits both Peacock and NBC and is reflective of our broader strategy to utilize our portfolio to maximize reach and strengthen engagement with viewers,” said Mark Lazarus, Chairman, NBCUniversal Television and Streaming. “With a large percentage of the ‘Days of our Lives’ audience already watching digitally, this move enables us to build the show’s loyal fanbase on streaming while simultaneously bolstering the network daytime offering with an urgent, live programming opportunity for partners and consumers.” 

NBC-owned stations will announce their specific daytime schedule soon.

Note: The post ‘Days of our Lives’ Making the Shift from NBC to Peacock Starting September 12 appeared first on the Soap Opera Network website.

Read More

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That, I do not like the idea of. 
I know they are assuming that people are already subscribing to the paid tier for other programming, but it is still conceivable that there are people who don’t subscribe to the paid tier, or Days viewers who are still unfamiliar with Peacock entirely and only watch soaps on network.  Soap fans are special, some still complain about the Daytime Emmys being streamed online in the past. There may be some resistance to the very idea of a show that used to air on network paid for by ads, to go to a paid service.
Why not at least try a FAST model first?

• Members

I don’t see that show survive 2023 with the move to Peacock! That kinda seals the fate. Way too many actors/actresses.. They were on a tight budget already. Now the move to the streaming platform will make it even more difficult somehow 

i mean it worked for beyond Salem coz it were limited number of episodes per season but 250 episodes a year for Days? Nah. Don’t see that continuing over 2023

• Members

Could not agree more! Memo to the remaining soaps: If Paramount+ (Y&R, B&B) or Hulu (GH) approach you and say 'How'd you like to do a 5 episode experiment'? Run the other way. If you do well (which allegedly the Beyond Salems and Christmas movie did well on Peacock), they'll take you off the major network so fast that your head will spin.  For all we say about Ken Corday, I do believe that he had every reason to believe that Days would be on NBC until at least September 2023. 

• Members

Perhaps I don't understand the context, but when people say radio silence do they expect more than a press release from NBC, an article in Variety, and coverage on Entertainment Tonight?

Is a social media post more meaningful than those sources?  Because twitter has a fraction of the interaction than those platforms cited.  So, if we are waiting on a tweet, it seems unnecessary (sorry for the tone, chalk it up to a bad mood).

On the other hand, I am concerned that the lack of entertainment media being produced during August hiatus will create a vacuum of publicity for the move amongst viewers of broadcast TV who are not engaged in social media.  Without promotion it seems like the move with occur with a whimper and not a bang.  At the very least I would have expected that the weekly preview commercials would include the coda, "soon to be a Peacock exclusive".

Edited by j swift

• Members

When I say radio silence from the show I mean something from Ken Corday, Ron Carlivati, Albert Alarr or any other Days of our Lives executives. Heck, I'd settle for a comment from Deidre Hall. They all rush out to social media, Soap Opera Digest and other places the moment a renewal is announced, why nothing now?