Preemptions due to hearings

• Members

I think it's more that NBC doesn't care if much of the country doesn't see "Days" in its regular time slot and is forced to watch it on Peacock. In fact, that happened even before Peacock was created. It's been that way, since you mentioned, since at least 2015. There have been many episodes of "Days" fully preempted in almost the entire country for special reports and it no longer matters to NBC. The old rule was that if 20 minutes of an episode was preempted on the East Coast (or to a lesser extent, the West Coast, since the episode had already aired in a majority of the country), that would trigger a national preemption for the entire country and the episode would be pushed back a day. Now, whether they air special reports or not, the episodes continue to air as planned, regardless of how small of a percentage of affiliates air the episode.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

NBC doesn't care.  And for this specific episode, that's really a shame.

Juneteenth is a holiday with a specific history.

On January 1, 1863, Lincoln issued the final Emancipation Proclamation, declaring that all enslaved persons in the Confederate States of America in rebellion and not in Union hands were freed.  It took a long time for the truth to be spread.  In some states, human beings were still being used in slavery for over two years after the proclamation.  The word didn't arrive in Texas until June 19, 1865.  (Hence the holiday being celebrated June 19).

The irony is that the current congressional hearings are about the January 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol by an armed mob carrying Confederate flags who erected a gallows with a noose.  And the fact that in some states the election officials were being pressured to lie about the election results.
These hearings are about the truth.
I wanted the hearings to air and not the soaps.

I can see NBC disregarding Days if it were a random soap episode about a lovers quarrel, a triangle, a murder mystery, a generic soap wedding, or whatever soapy stuff.

But in this case, for Days episode #14360 about Juneteenth, I think they should have called a preemption, and aired the episode the next day.

In my opinion, I think viewers should see both the hearings and this special episode -- so just postpone the episode.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Today Tues. June 21, GH in Canada (and some parts of US) got a rerun of episode 14874 from Dec 17, 2021. This is a recap:
https://soaps.sheknows.com/general-hospital/recaps/617857/general-hospital-brando-sasha-say-goodbye-liam-mike-ghost-return/

Interesting. On June 16,  due to the hearings, GH repeated Dec. 15, 2021. 
So that's repeats of two different episodes from the same week.

• Members

A couple of years ago, GH gave the excuse that they can go back only a few years for reruns, due to some legal copyright thing or whatever.  I think it was something about the music/soundtrack being embedded in older clips and they don't have the copyright to the music and they can't strip it out? I might have it wrong but it's something ridiculously convoluted like that.  I don't really believe it.  Supposedly that's why the GH summer 2020 pandemic reruns were all fairly recent.

Meanwhile B&B and Y&R went back decades for their summer 2020 pandemic reruns.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

In other words it's #firefrank and his buddies Easton and Howarth or nothing. I'd rather have ALL in the FAMILY RERUNS, thanks. No one needs to see c-story Sasha and Brando lose their kid again. Do they? It was depressing enough the first time (and every Sasha scene since).

• Members

If they said they could not air anything before the show was HD I could accept that excuse. Music being embedded or being paid for one use is a real thing. That is what happened with WKRP in Cincinnati they didn’t have rights beyond airing on regular tv, and stripping out the music cost a lot, so it took years for them to secure the rights to the majority of the soundtrack.

• Members

Yeah I don't want to see the baby death episode either.

As I said earlier in the thread, GH seems to choose reruns of episodes that have characters or scenarios that are connected to the currently-airing stories or upcoming stories.  I speculate that they chose today's rerun to be the one about Sasha's baby's death ... because she is in upcoming spoilers regarding her stress etc.

Either that or they just thought randomly "What's a really dramatic episode we can throw in the queue for a rerun? Oh the baby death, that's dramatic, let's use that."   Not realizing that NOBODY wanted to watch that at Christmas and nobody wants to see it again.

• Members

BTW today's hearing with the election worker whose life has been in shambles because of lies told by the president was riveting and I would chose to watch it over a rerun of GH any day of the week.

This woman who personally drove to the hospital and delivered absentee ballots to the elderly, and who kept her job because she knew that generations before her had fought for the right to vote, now lives in fear that her mother will say her name out loud in a grocery store because she and her family have been harassed for the past two years by racist bigots.  The president's lawyer accused her on prime time television of passing a surreptitious usb key, when in actuality he just gave her mother a ginger mint.

I actually shed a tear when she reported that the entire Fulton County election office have left their jobs due to threats of violence against themselves and their family.

I don't want to come off as performatively "woke", but any fan of the type of heightened emotions that we see on daytime would be well served to watch these hearings both affectingly and informatively.  I don't think it has anything to do with streaming or choosing episodes to repeat.  I honestly believe that the networks feel we are better served as a nation by watching these stories.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Days was not shown in a lot of the US today June 21, but it wasn't "officially fully preempted"  -- so if your station didn't air it, you have to watch it on peacock.

A very few cities in the eastern time zone get Days from noon-1pm. That's where the early live-tweets come from.  Those cities got to see Days before the live hearing started today.

Most of the eastern and central timezone was overridden by the live hearing which started at 1pm Eastern.

Western timezones got to see Days after the live hearing was over.

But even nobody saw Days today, NBC would not have cared.  They'd say too bad, just watch it on peacock.

Edited by janea4old