Preemptions due to hearings

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thursday June 16, GH was preempted in the US.
Canada was shown a rerun of the December 15, 2021 episode.
Here is a recap of that eppy:
https://soaps.sheknows.com/general-hospital/recaps/617697/general-hospital-michael-confronts-brad-threatens-selina/

GH seems to show repeats of recent episodes during news preemptions or holiday preemptions. I am usually curious what episode they choose.  They usually usually choose repeat episodes that contain something of characters/stories that are related to whatever is currently airing.

• Webmaster

Well I'm of the impression the 15,000th show will be preempted again and instead air on Wednesday, June 22. Even noted that in my article on it. ABC (for now) is insisting it'll be the 21st. 

Other than the 15,000th show, I expect that on Thursday ABC will air GH at its regular 2:00 p.m. slot so not an official preemption except for those markets airing the show at it 3:00 p.m. like NY. It'll probably air overnight, or just be made available on Hulu and ABC On Demand without a login required.

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2022/06/general-hospital-preemption-shifts-episodes

• Members

Optional: Likely means the hearing's ratings dropped even further on Thursday.  The same thing happened with the 2nd impeachment hearings - after networks saw the low interest, they stopped full pre-emptions. I wonder why they aren't in prime time when the vast majority of people could watch.

Fun fact: during Watergate, instead of all Big 3 airing the hearings, they eventually rotated the days so that soaps could continue airing - aka the networks could keep making $$$.

• Members

Since 2015, DAYS has had national preemptions *only* for sports and presidential inaugurations (if you count the November dog show as "sports" ) .
Jason's stats:
https://www.jason47.com/days/preemptions.html

In contrast. GH calls preemptions for many news events.

CBS preempts a moderate amount of time.
B&B preempts more often than Y&R because B&B is a 30-minute show, so it's easier for a news event to override most of the episode.

For CBS, it also depends on the timeslot.

On June 13, when the hearing was at 10:00 am EDT,
Y&R was preempted but B&B aired.

On June 16, when the hearing was at 1:00 pm EDT,
B&B was preempted but Y&R aired.
(Actually on June 16, most of the US didn't see Y&R, but the hearing overrode only half of the Y&R episode in the Eastern timezone, so Y&R considered it "aired" and posted the episode online, and then aired a new episode the following day)

Edited by janea4old