Characters that ATE their Soaps

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

In all my years of soap viewing, nobody ate show like they did on ABC in the 2000’s.  OLTL tried very hard to be more of an ensemble at times, probably because Frons paid less attention to them.

GH- nothing has ever been as dreadful as the quad of Sonny/Carly/Jason/Michael.  I don’t think even baby Steven Lars was as important to plot as Michael was.  And these are all characters I have liked at times.  But no soap should have characters on this much!  Special mention also to Courtney, who dominated that show almost from her first day.  And Dante!

AMC- Ryan Lavery.  Again, a character I have enjoyed, but he was just used way too much during their last decade.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Lucy Cooper on Guiding Light - one of the reasons I dropped the show in the mid ‘90s.

The RappaDavidsons on OLTL - such a bland and annoying family. Yet inescapable. I couldn’t even enjoy Catherine Hickland (the only worthwhile performance of that bunch) because I so resented their immediate ubiquity.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Actually, a lot of people at OLTL openly disliked Kale Browne. Hillary B. Smith and Mark Derwin both all but diss him by name in the OLTL oral history as well, but they weren't the only ones.

• Members

The worst part of Lucy is that she was not only a terrible character, she brought other characters down with her.  First were the young characters played by better actors  like  Bridget and Kat who got their airtime gobbled up by this non-entity, then there was AM, who had really great chemistry with Gilly, but they had to regress him to be in love with Lucy. Then there was the overload of Buzz and the Coopers and that they were trying to replace Harley with Lucy. Then they can't decide on what she was..first she came on as the "spunky" Harley lite, then she is the damsel in distress. They even threw the old soap trope, raping her, to make her a victim and somehow earn the audience's sympathy, (which ruined another great character/actor Brent Lawrence who could have been Roger's mini-me but instead became a psycho named Marion. 

• Members

All of this. And Gilly could have had a really interesting story with A-M and perhaps even tangling with Alexandra, but nope. They led her down a sordid path instead. Lucy represented everything cheap and desperate about that era of GL to me.