Batgirl Movie

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Batgirl just got lost in the shuffle. David Zaslav, the CEO of the newly formed Warner Brothers Discovery, announced on the investors call that they’re basically throwing everything out of the window when it comes to DC films, and they’re going to try to copy the format and long-term planning Kevin Feige has established with Marvel Studios. 

He’s hired Alan Horn to consult and lead this vision. Horn, of course, worked with Disney/Bob Iger and Kevin Feige to build the MCU into what it is today. He was obviously at WB before where he helped green light Nolan’s Batman films, the Harry Potter franchise, and other things.

Obviously, he wants to try to challenge Marvel’s dominance, but it’s also a reputation and brand problem. Kevin Feige has spent years building the Marvel brand into what it is, while DC has been careless and making terrible decisions for the same amount of time. They have a lot of catching up to do.

Warner Bros. Discovery Teases 10-Year Plan For DC Films

There will be a team with a 10-year plan focusing just on DC. It's very similar to the structure that Alan Horn and Bob Iger put together, very effectively, with Kevin Feige at Disney," he added. "We think that we could build a long-term much stronger, sustainable growth business out of DC. And as part of that, we're going to focus on quality. We're not going to release any film before it's ready. We're not going to release a film to make a quarter. We're not going to release a film unless the focus is going to be, 'How do we make each of these films in general as good as possible?' But DC is something that we think we could make better and we're focused on it now. We have some great DC films coming up — Black Adam, Shazam, and Flash – and we're working on all of those. We're very excited about them."

• Administrator

Why Warner Bros. Killed ‘Batgirl’: Inside the Decision Not to Release the DC Movie

"Releasing the movie on HBO Max would seem to be the most obvious solution. Instead, the company has shelved “Batgirl” — along with the “Scoob!” sequel — and several sources say it will almost certainly take a tax write-down on both films, seen internally as the most financially sound way to recoup the costs (at least, on an accountant’s ledger). It could justify that by chalking it up to a post-merger change of strategy."

So by releasing it on HBO Max, where they won't have to spend money promoting it, they won't be able to get a tax write-down?  They're not able to do both?

I don't mind this plan, however, I hope DC won't connect everything the way Marvel did.  I like that DC is able to have The Joker, The Batman, and DCEU not being tied together.  This way to you have more than one Batman, more than one Harley Quinn, more than one Joker, etc. 

• Members

The funny thing is DC’s rare successes have been with their standalone films, their attempt to copy the MCU with the DCEU previously was half-baked and poorly executed. 

Some have said their open embrace of being a disconnected brand has hurt them though. General audiences may be confused if there are multiple people playing Batman in close proximity for example. While Marvel has developed a brand identity where many people will go see those movies without prior knowledge or care for a certain IP, just because of the Marvel name being attached. DC/WB hasn’t been able to cultivate a similar brand or strategy.

• Members

Would that I were in a position to toss $9 million away!

According to what I read, the House Party reboot is now stalled and the Scoob sequel has also gone the way of Batgirl.

Warner is claiming that the decision to shelve Batgirl had nothing to do with quality but that sounds dubious at best.

Let’s say Warner is telling the truth and it wasn’t about the quality of the movie. It must have to do with HBO Max or HBO not performing up to expectations.

I wonder if HBO in creating HBO Max might have cannibalized their main network. The ESPN/Disney model doesn’t work for everyone.

• Members

I find it intriguing that more people in social media are concerned about the possibility of never seeing a live action Barbara Gordan, rather than closing a tax loop that would allow a company to willfully admit about deliberately taking a loss in order to recoup the money off the back of the taxpayers.

I just read that HBO Max and Discovery + combined have 95 million sub, which they fret about while Paramount + has 93 million subs and considers that a victory.  As an investment neophyte it sounds like a scam.

• Members

Cable is pretty much a scam and has been a scam for the last 20 years. A scam with loads of prestige and a scam nonetheless.

Sad but true that a large percentage of the American public has an aversion to paying taxes, even when they are not the ones required to pay more, even if it will benefit society. The last occupant of the White House got elected, never having had to show a proper accounting of his tax returns.

Please register in order to view this content

• 2 months later...