Mothers Favoring One Son Over the Other

• Members

A common soap element is a mother favoring one son over the other. That element also has a biblical allusion (Rebecca/Jacob/Esau). Which soap storylines of mothers favoring one son over the other are the favorites of this board?

Bill Bell used this element several times, the two big ones being Vanessa favoring Lance over Lucas and Stephanie favoring Ridge over Thorne. To a lesser extent there was Cora favoring Matt over Victor, as Cora kept Matt and placed Victor in an orphanage. I don't think Liz and her relationships with Snapper and Greg apply here, and I don't count Mary and Paul as Mary's relationships with her other sons Todd and Steve were not really explored.

Edited by kalbir

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Like Liz Foster I can’t see Mary favoring one child over the other…Paul was the oldest right? I could see him currying extra  favor with her more, but had Steve & Patty lasted into the 80’s and 90’s I could see Mary equally barging into their private lives as much as she did Paul’s….with Todd being a priest she may have felt satisfied enough lol. 

On ATWT didn’t Nancy prefer younger son Bob over Don back in the 60’s? I know Nancy also preferred her dead daughter over Penny as well. 

Primetime wise it was pretty clear Ellie’s favorite son was Gary on Dallas. 

• Members

Kate from Days is the first person I thought of.  Not so much now, but in the 90's it's clear Austin was her golden child.   She didn't even make it a secret.

Carly on GH clearly loves Michael the best.  I don't even know where her baby is most of the time.

• Members

Are you sure about that?  Because, if memory serves me correct, Deborah Adair's Kate did her best to make like that part of her life (marrying Curtis/having Austin and Billie) never existed.  To me, Lucas was her golden child.

• Members

I feel like once she found out they were her kids she bent over backwards to make Austin/Billie happy.  She was always weirdly invested in their love lives, gave them jobs, and I felt like Lucas was forgotten for awhile.  You can see it from both views because she has done a ton of stuff for Lucas as well, but I personally always felt she wanted Austin to get everything he wanted more than her other kids.