Portia Faces Life and Stella Dallas - Two Kinds of Soap Heroines

• Members

Portia Faces Life began as an American Radio Soap in 1940 and run for 11 years until 1951 the Character being mostly played by Lucille Wall (of General Hospital Fame) then it went to TV for one Single Season starring Frances Reid (later Alice Horton on DOOL) and retooled into The Inner Flame starring Fran Carlton in 1955 and even had an Australian version that run on radio from 1954 to 1970 starring Lyndall Barbour, Isn't it Amazing that a Soap about a Female Lawyer was so well received I think she Deserves to be Discussed

On the Other Hand in 1937 a Soap based on a novel and a couple of Movies began and run for 18 years, it was Stella Dallas and was about a loving and self-sacrificing Mother Starring Anne Elstner for it's entire run and even if it sounds so much more common it also sounds very nice and even if it didn't became a TV series it also deserves some discussion as both were centered on Women that while on opposite sides were very strong in different ways 

A Touch of Portia

And A Touch of Stella

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I knew but I thought these deserved their own thread specifically since Portia became an TV Show for a while, but I searched over and there's already one for it but no one talked on that for so long that was beyond my search limit