Thought this was interesting regarding NBC and soaps

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Y&R on NBC….Erm no that would have ended in a mess. Wasn’t Brian Frons in charge, or at least VP of NBC Daytime at the time? Yikes.

I can see the allure of trying to poach another soap at the time. It’s funny people mention they grew up in a CBS house or an ABC house for soaps but crickets for NBC house, at least since the late 70’s. 

• Members

The notion that NBC could just take Y&R is ridiculous.

Sony and Bill Bell would have to agree,it would have to happen when the CBS contract is up and the only inducement would be a shedload of money, which even then would surely not be viable for NBC.

If I was being asked in 1985,I would have told NBC to go after Y&R and given them that (useless) advice for free.

It's like saying that at the time ABC should buy the Cosby Show-it just doesn't work that way.

• Members

In 1985? Not a chance. Y&R was regularly hitting #1 and CBS was not going to let it go. They had probably already asked him for another show at this point. I doubt NBC could have offered anything better than what Sony or the Bells had at CBS at that point. 

Unless Sony wanted both their shows on one network for some reason, I can't imagine any reason a move would occur, and even then I would be more willing to imagine Days moving and not Y&R

• Members

I was just reading through threads I normally wouldn't pay attention to, but this one interested me.  I would have said exactly that.  My Mom was a lifelong SFT viewer and had fallen off a little with SFT on CBS but she never even knew it went to NBC.  I remember (I was young, like 10 or 11) and telling her that SFT was going off the air, and wouldn't she like to see the final episode?  I happened to be home from school I think for some reason and I remember turning it on for her.  She thought it had been cancelled when it disappeared from CBS.  I think a lot of people who had been fans didn't follow it to NBC.  Similar to Edge of Night moving to ABC.

• Members

Unless you happened to read about it,how would viewers know?

NBC must have ran ads but that was pointless for loyal CBS viewers.

I recall reading that there was some mention (voiceovers?) that Search was leaving CBS but all the announcer said was check local listings. Was there any other viewer alerts?