Denis Villanueve's Dune...

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A friend suggested we go see this and, honestly, I had no expectations beyond the trailer. I don't know the book or anything like that. I thought it was enthralling. The story-setting and story-telling kind of washes over you at length and it feels almost like one of Paul's fever dreams at times. Timothee Chalamet is compelling and intense despite having a cipher role with not that much dialogue -- I thought he did well in truly centering the movie. Special mention to Rebecca Ferguson as his mother, Jessica -- what a mystery she is: is she a cult-member/religious zealot? A loving mother? An opportunist? An evil villain? I still don't know.

The work Villeneuve and his team did in creating these worlds/societies with their own languages, cultures, sciences, environments, and phenomena must have been insane. This literally transports you to another galaxy which is somewhat recognizable to our own. And House Ariedes getting bogged down in a desert quagmire as it seeks to exploit the local energy source has shades of the US invasion of Iraq.

Hope there is a Part Two!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My apologies. I meant to get to this sooner. And yes...Oct 2023 for Part 2.

Please register in order to view this content

I remember the 1984 version and have the first book and watched the SciFi Channel series and have waaaay too many friends who are uberfans, but I've been wanting to see people's opinions who have not read the book or series because I know Villanueve (who is an uberfan himself) went out of his way to take such a complex series and make it accessible to people who never read the books. Happy to see that he succeeded.   

And yes!!! Same. I felt the whole movie moved like a wave.

How about Lady Jessica is...all of the above?  I thought Rebecca played it well. My uberbook friend felt differently. Because Lady Jessica can be a BadA*(, but reserved and she felt Lady Jessica was not reserved enough. I don't know if you watched FARSCAPE but kinda like the character of Zhaan. 

OOOooooo and the worldbuilding. I cannot begin to tell you how since I've seen it, my mind has been so inspired to create. And I'm doing something for NaNoWriMo this year so inspirationg springs.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHHAHA

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...