• Members

Texas starring Beverlee McKinsee

Eileen Fulton got special credit in the 80's

'and Eileen Fulton as Lisa'

Was it a contract thing that Douglass Watson and Victoria Wyndham  got top billiing on AW followed by rest of the cast in order of seniority?

A couple of years into GH John Beradino and Emily McLaughlin demanded billing at the end of each episode.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Actors I know that got special billing:

ATWT:

When the show switched its cast credits from listed by seniority to listed alphabetically Don Hastings always got listed first, and of course Eileen Fulton special end credit.

AW:

AW’s end credits were by seniority although there was Denise Alexander’s special credit. VW got listed first  by default.

Days:

MacDonald Carey

Frances Reid

Deirdre Hall 1991-2009

Wayne Northrop 1991-94

GL:

Kim Zimmer. Even though GL’s credits were alphabetical, when Deborah Zoe was on Zimmer was listed after Zoe in the closing credits.

• Members

I wonder when that began? I guess both capitalized on their popularity by late the 70’s it seems. 

We probably should be glad the Bell soaps have always listed cast credit alphabetically as I am quite sure there would be a real power struggle over who got starring/top billing as well as “and with...” credits by the 90’s. 

• Members

I remember reading in the early 8o's some more senior performers had locked in 26 week cycles in their contracts rather than 13 weeks, so could not be dismissed in that time frame.

I think Mart Huswit(Ed GL) was given as an example. Ironic in that he was fired soon after.

• Members

When Gisele McKenzie subbed for Jeanne Cooper she got a special credit after all the contract cast

The role of Kay Chancelor played this week by

Gisele MacKenzie

Not sure if this was an agreement or just out of respect for her, but I don't think any other sub actor got this, at least during Bell's tenure.

In terms of Eric I agree, it could not have been during Bell's run. Not even Lauralee got to dictate story, whether Bell featured her a lot or not. She did what she was told as they all did, even lines as written. As Doug Davidson said, if it ain't on the page it ain't on the stage. 

Melody Thomas Scott often had her wardrobe credited - Pea in the pod or something. Might have been during her pregnancies but I don't remember

Up to 1982 Y&R credits were not alphabetical as far as I can tell and only featured those in the episode, not sure how they worked that out

• Members

I would like to ask about episode guarantees. Were these a thing? If so did all contract cast get episode guarantees, or only those that negotiated them

I think Susan Lucci had this too at one point. I remember reading her scene were always done early in the morning/day

Also pretty sure Susan Flannery had a directing clause built into her contract at B&B as well at some point, but I am not sure. Anyone know about that?

• Members

One other thing. Judith Light stated she was contracted to OLTL initially as an understudy. I never heard of such a thing in soaps ever. Does anyone know more about this? I heard Kathryn Breech was either seriously ill or contact negotiation ill at the time. 

• Members

Just found an article from Nov 05 77 that says Kathy was replaced by serial newcomer Judith Light, but I can't upload it. So yeah she must have come back

They also mention animosity leading to her departure

Edited by will81